Peet previews Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Wakefield

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet gave his pre-match thoughts ahead of Round 17 of Betfred Super League.

Peet: “They’ll be a very motivated team at the start and we’ve got to be focused on our own standards.”

Wakefield Trinity v Wigan Warriors, Sunday 3rd July, 3pm K.O.

Matt Peet said his side are ‘expecting the best of Wakefield’ as they travel to the Be Well Support Stadium to face Trinity this Sunday afternoon.

This week’s opposition come off the back of a heavy 74-10 loss, but Peet believes his side have to look past that result: “I think that was a bit of a freak result, I don’t think Salford would’ve gone into that game expecting it and we’ve seen how these games can turn. If you’re off, which Wakefield were and Salford have that ability to post points.

We’ve got to put that thought aside and expect the best of Wakefield, they’ll be chasing a reaction, it’s a big occasion for them at home with the changes to the stadium incoming. They’ve got enough class to trouble us.”

He added: “They’ll be a very motivated team at the start and we’ve got to be focused on our own standards. If we play to the best of us, we can get the job done but anything less and it can soon turn for the worst particularly in that ground more than any other.”

Reflecting on their own performance in Round 16 as the Warriors took a 40-6 win over Toulouse, Peet said: “I thought it was a pretty professional performance. The start of the game was always going to be critical, I thought we nailed it, we completed high in the first half and we were playing without any risk. I thought our skill levels were good and our defence is improving at the moment so that is a big focus for us.”

Away from the fixture, the Warriors Head Coach was keen to show his delight at Monday’s One Club training session: “I loved it, it was a brilliant night. I’d go as far as saying it was one of the best nights of the year so far as a Club.

“Monday was a real celebration and a bringing together of so many people that do positive work for this Club. Hopefully they feel a bit more connected to one another, we need to do it more, grow it and improve it but it has a massive effect. The first team were inspired by it, and hopefully all of the other teams were as well.”

Match tickets are still available to buy in-Store at Robin Park Arena (open Monday-Saturday, 10am-4pm) for just £10 Adults and Free for U16s. Please note there are no further online sales for the game.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/06/ ... kefield-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan