Wigan Warriors centre makes exit on short-term deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors centre makes exit on short-term deal

Post by josie andrews »

Swinton Lions have confirmed the loan signing of Wigan Warriors centre, Alex Sutton.

The 6-foot tall, 19-year-old, made his Super League debut last May, and has earned a full-time contract at the DW Stadium.

He now comes to the Lions on an initial short-term arrangement after a successful loan spell earlier in 2022 at Championship outfit Newcastle Thunder.

Sutton was born at Warrington but emerged through the Halton Farnworth and Blackbrook community clubs. He is highly rated by Wigan and has a fantastic try-scoring track record.

Lions’ Head Coach, Allan Coleman said, “It’s great to have Alex on board. In Wigan Warriors he comes from a top club with great standards.

Alex has played Championship rugby league this season and can cover multiple positions in the backs, so I’m looking forward to seeing him in a Lions’ shirt.

“I’d like to thank Darrell Goulding at Wigan Warriors for helping to facilitate this arrangement.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... eal-55280/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaiJones

Re: Wigan Warriors centre makes exit on short-term deal

Post by DaiJones »

When did he make his Super League debut?
( I just looked at his club bio on the website and they say at Huddersfield in May but this is wrong isn’t it?)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:58 am When did he make his Super League debut?
( I just looked at his club bio on the website and they say at Huddersfield in May but this is wrong isn’t it?)
We fielded a lot of young players that game which we lost, Nicholson scored two tries. But no Alex Sutton was named in that squad!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:03 am
DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:58 am When did he make his Super League debut?
We fielded a lot of young players that game which we lost, Nicholson scored two tries. But no Alex Sutton was named in that squad! His first team squad number is 29.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

He hasn't actually played for the first team yet though
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:47 am He hasn't actually played for the first team yet though
Yes, I know, that’s why I stated he wasn’t listed in the squad for that game!
We fielded a lot of young players in that game which we lost, Nicholson scored two tries. But no Alex Sutton was named in that squad!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Maybe the club have mixed him up with Logan Astley!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 am Maybe the club have mixed him up with Logan Astley!
Yeah could be 😊
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 am Maybe the club have mixed him up with Logan Astley!
Sounds more like it.

As has often been said here in recent times, attention to detail on the club's website and media engagements still leave a lot to be desired. You'd hope that with the improvements we've seen lately, both on and off the pitch, this would be something we'd see a marked improvement in going forward.