Isa: Express our characteristics

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Isa: Express our characteristics

Post by josie andrews »

Willie Isa gave an in-depth interview as he prepares to play his 250th Super League game.

Isa: “I’ve got plenty of great memories across those 250 games but I couldn’t pick one, I’m just grateful.”

See the full interview with Willie Isa on Wigan TV HERE.

Willie Isa reflected on his career so far, as well as looking ahead to this weekend’s game against Wakefield Trinity as he spoke to Wigan TV earlier this week.

Willie Isa will reach 250 Super League appearances this weekend, should he be selected against Wakefield. Speaking on the milestone, Isa said: “I’m shocked really, I’m one of those guys who will always try hard, try and keep myself in good nick and give back the best possible version of myself every week. It’s important for me to give back to not only the Club but I represent my family and represent all of those people who worked hard for me when I was younger.

“There’s too many people to name but my athletics coach, my school teachers who became my Scholarship and Academy Coaches back in Penrith, previous Clubs – those Coaches have made me who I am today so I am just grateful really.”

Questioned on how he has been able to play the game for so long, he said: “I just try and look after my body as best as I can. I don’t think there’s any secret, you have to do more work than whilst you’re at work and that includes diets, sleep and I call that simply being a sportsman and being a human being.”

Ahead of the game, Isa also offered his thought’s on this week’s opposition: “They’ve got a strong team but individually they’ve got great players, I don’t pay attention too much so I only just heard about their score today (Wednesday) so that doesn’t really come into consideration for me.

He added: “It doesn’t matter what happened last weekend because when Wakefield are playing at home, they are a tough team and individuals always stand up. I’m looking forward to a good challenge this weekend.”

The 33-year old was also questioned on the feeling in the camp: “It’s great, winning games obviously helps but the Coaching staff from pre-season have set the tone on how they want this team to act and play. Not only on the Rugby League field, but off it too so we are the best we can be as Men and Rugby League follows.

“We continue doing what we need to do, we’re working hard on the training field and there’s no secret really to what we’re doing. The Coaches are trying to get us to express our characteristics in our Rugby League games.”

Isa also spoke passionately about Monday night’s joint training session: “We had a training session on Monday as a Club, there was over 200 players from across the Club – Wheelchair, Touch, the two Women’s teams, Academy, Scholarship, PDRL, LDRL – it just shows how far we have come as a Club and as a sport of Rugby League.

I think it’s important to show the future of Rugby League, these kids – no matter where you come from, whether you have a disability or not, you’re invited and that is the beauty of Rugby League.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/ ... teristics/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan