MAGIC PREVIEW: WARRIORS SPIRIT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

MAGIC PREVIEW: WARRIORS SPIRIT

Post by josie andrews »

Rising Wigan prop hails transformation at the club

Wigan’s rapid rise under new coach Matt Peet has been built on a sense of trust and community.

That’s the verdict of front rower Liam Byrne, who has been one of several players to impress under a first-year boss that led the Warriors to a Betfred Challenge Cup triumph within his first six months in charge.

Byrne’s performances at prop have earned him a new contract and he says the relationship Peet has developed with his players and the local area have been central to their recent success.
“A lot of credit goes to him, and it’s a lot about the trust he puts in us,” Byrne explained.

“Recently we had five days off and a chance to have a little break in the middle of the season, and when we came back in on day one it was like we’d never been away because everyone wants to do well.

“The trust he’s built within the squad is second to none, alongside all the community stuff we’ve done as a team, going into the local schools in pre-season.

“There’s been a big focus on getting the community together, including the players’ families, and it’s really working for us.”

Byrne himself is a shining example of that.

“The last couple of years I’ve not played as much as I have this year,” the 22-year-old said.
“But I came into this season with a different kind of mindset and thought it was my time to crack on and get stuck in. I was ready to step up my game and I’ve really enjoyed it.”_

“As a whole team we had a really good pre-season and were working as a team so much better.
“You can see it in training all the time and I think that trust in each other comes through in our performances.

“I think there’s a really good chance to do some great things here over the next few years.”

Silverware has already arrived in the shape of May’s Challenge Cup, a run which saw the Warriors beat this weekend’s opponents St Helens in the semi-finals.

But neither fact has led to any element of complacency in the Wigan squad.

“To win some silverware was definitely a goal for us at the start of the season, and it was great to get to the Challenge Cup Final and come away with that,” Byrne added.

“But that is where Wigan as a club needs to be, and hopefully we can carry on now and win more silverware.

“We can’t wait for Magic - we’ve had some really good matches with Saints the couple of times we’ve played them this season, they’ve been very competitive.

“For us lads going up against them is always the biggest game of the year, and they’ve been the best side for the last few years and we’ve been behind.

“We just want to be the best that we can be on the day and hopefully we can get the job done.”

Player in Form - Liam Farrell

Jai Field and Bevan French have rightly written the headlines for most of the season, but for sheer consistency, it’s hard to look past the seemingly ageless Farrell.
The back rower’s form saw him regain his England place against the Combined Nations All Stars last month, and he looks back to his best in a World Cup year.
A constant danger with the ball from anywhere in the opposition half alongside a huge defensive work-rate makes him the perfect modern day back rower.

One to Watch - Ethan Havard

In a season where Wigan’s young forwards have stood tall, prop Havard has been as towering as anyone.
Described by coach Matt Peet as “the kind of player you want to build around”, the Warriors boss got his wish last month when Havard penned a new contract at the club.
Still only 20, he has already racked up over 50 first team appearances and looks set for a huge future in the game.

This article is taken from the Magic Weekend programme, copies of which can be ordered online via Curtis Sports.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/2 ... ors-spirit
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan