Cooper Joins immediately

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Cooper Joins immediately

Post by josie andrews »

We are delighted to confirm that Mike Cooper has joined the Club with immediate effect.

He arrived at Robin Park Arena this morning and is contention for selection this week.

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 54945?s=12

Wigan Warriors are delighted to confirm that Mike Cooper has joined the Club with immediate effect.

Initially, Cooper signed for Wigan for 2023 but an opportunity emerged for him to join the Club immediately and the prop forward arrived at Robin Park Arena on Monday. He is in contention to be in this week’s squad and could make his debut against Leeds Rhinos on Thursday.

The 33-year-old England international brings a wealth of experience to the Wigan team, playing 238 games for Warrington Wolves and making 69 appearances for St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL.

Warriors Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Once it became clear to Mike that he was not part of Warrington’s plans for the remainder of the year, we seized the opportunity to strengthen our squad at a key point in the season. With eight games to go before the Play-Offs begin, we get a guy with bags of experience who is hungry for success. We look forward to him getting started and is available for selection immediately.”

On arriving at the Club, Cooper told Wigan TV: “It’s been a bit of a whirlwind but I’m here now and I just want to get started and put my best foot forward.

“It’s a proud Club with huge history and proven success and I want to be a part of that. Hopefully I can add to what we’ve already got here. Wigan have a history of playing a certain way – playing with a load of intent and that suits me.

We’ve got a fantastic pack already and some young lads and I’ll bring that experience, but first and foremost it’s about earning people’s respect. It’s about fitting into the culture here and making mates with everybody – from the office staff to the performance staff and players. It’s one big family and I’m really happy to be a part of it.”

Cooper is contracted to Wigan for 2023 and has a further 12-month option.

He takes the No.36 shirt for the remainder of this season.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/ ... mediately/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Cooper Joins immediately

Post by fozzieskem »

Good news a well timed signing always helps with the end of season run in.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wouldn't be shocked to see Partington head out on loan now.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good stuff
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

This could be a fantastic signing for us at the right time of the year.

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:40 am Wouldn't be shocked to see Partington head out on loan now.
Any chance this other signing you mentioned could come early dan? If oli leaves obviously
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:01 am
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:40 am Wouldn't be shocked to see Partington head out on loan now.
Any chance this other signing you mentioned could come early dan? If oli leaves obviously
Very much doubt it mate.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Who's the other signing mentioned?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:41 am
Firestarter wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:01 am
Very much doubt it mate.
Dan - What position does this other signing play? Is he currently playing in SL?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im hoping that Coops is coming with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure