Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:37 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 pm
While I'm on a rant, could I just mention that however many of you state something as a fact, and however many times you do it, it doesn't make it any more true (try "We all know that Powell will picked . . ." for example.)

give 1 example since Mickey Mac left where Sam Powell has been fit and not picked - if you do i shall not state it as fact, if you cant it proves it is until it isn't
. . . and my dad's bigger than your dad.

My point was about the negativity of fans. We're second and catching up, for goodness sake.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Big stick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am Ideally we need a replacement and I’d be consulting with Briers who he thinks should take over. He must be impressed with coaches he’s seen and with the improvement in attack I trust his judgment
I'm in no way taking anything from Briers there's enough evidence to say he's had a very positive impact but it seems people believe it's all him.

Matty Peet had a very good attacking academy side
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Disappointing, no one could deny (inside or outside the club), that Briers has surely had a positive impact since his arrival!

Can't hold any grudges for his ambition! Onus is on the club's head for finding an equally appropriate replacement!
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

After just seeing his interview for the first time on Wigan TV l don’t think there is any doubt about his fondness for Wigan Warriors and commitment for the rest of the season, but l can’t help thinking that in a couple or two of years he will be head coach of Warrington Wolves. Would that be a waste of his talent? They seem to suck the life out of coaches with it always being “ their year “
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
boggart

Post by boggart »

His replacement will be TL, absolute cert. Love him but hope I'm wrong. He obviously knows the club culture inside out, arguably, he helped create it, but we need someone with experience. We're still not consistently up to Saints standard, but we can beat them comfortably on our day. Lets not throw away what we've acheived.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I think it's fairly obvious that many of the best assistant coaches are likely to be ambitious, whether that means being a head coach or developing your skills in the NRL.

If Lee goes to the Broncos, and then comes back to Wigan as Head Coach, arguably he'll have had a broader education and be better than if he'd stayed here.

And, if he's appointed Head Coach at Wigan in 2026, say, he'll avoid the "jobs for the boys" jibe from Medlocke, as he's only been here for 12 months :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:23 pm I think it's fairly obvious that many of the best assistant coaches are likely to be ambitious, whether that means being a head coach or developing your skills in the NRL.

If Lee goes to the Broncos, and then comes back to Wigan as Head Coach, arguably he'll have had a broader education and be better than if he'd stayed here.

And, if he's appointed Head Coach at Wigan in 2026, say, he'll avoid the "jobs for the boys" jibe from Medlocke, as he's only been here for 12 months :lol:
Never played for Wigan or come through the academy therefore not one of the boys
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

You do wonder about the possible value to the club of organising for Lockers or Tommy getting a temporary assistant's job in the NRL before continuing/starting a coaching role here. Do we ever consider this type of thing?
doc

Post by doc »

John Winder spent some time in Australia.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I dare say brisbane wernt interested in Lee prior to him coming to wigan…….. i reckon they have taken notice of thr difference he has made at wigan and pounced on him……. I must admit ive watched brisbane a lot this season and at times there attack can be a bit clonky( a bit like ours last season)……. Hope we get another outside replacement for Lee lined up….. i think matty might struggle without one
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE