Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan look inwards........

So in the last 12 years how much has been inward baring Pete and lockers

External:

Maguire
Harris
Briers

Internal please feel free to point out and first team ones I've missed:

Wane
Peet (he did leave for a bit though)
Lockers

Former players

Lam
Deacon (wasn't he brought in as a player/Coach)

Failed:

Edwards
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

John Winder
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

This is very sad.
Unfortunately we cant look to Lockers as he is still learning his trade, I have doubts as to weather he is a verbal motivator or a tactician. In my opinion he was a captain because he led from the front not because of his tactical brain on the field.

w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

We definitely need to move away from the jobs for the boys culture and I was happy when we looked elsewhere and signed briers. I think it’s done us a world of good. I’m gutted to see him leave but can’t be mad at someone wanting to peruse their dream. I’m not saying Tommy won’t make a good coach but I’d be hesitant to give him the assistant job so soon. If French leaving soon gets confirms that’s a hell of a lot of bad news all at once and would take a couple top class signings to soften the blow.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:55 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:38 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 am Briers has wanted to try his hand out in Aus for quite a few years and now the opportunity has arisen. No drama that's fact, good luck to him. He wasn't going to get the main job at Wigan for a few years at least. Thank you and move on.

Which juniors apart from Nicholson have we let go? And he was with his Wigan mates on Saturday watching Wigan reserves!!!
Rushton, McDonell in quick order. We couldn’t entice Williams back. Like I said we can’t pay or won’t pay. It’s irrelevant that Nicholson was stood with his mates, he should have been stood with his teammates.
We apparently offered him the biggest contract Wigan had ever given out...

He chose more money at Warrington.
Apparently 🤔
Zakooo

Post by Zakooo »

Make no mistake this is worse than any player leaving . We will miss him big time and he needs to be replaced like for like not promoted from within. The 2 going to Newcastle can be replaced not sure he can.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am Why do people automatically take it as its the clubs fault?
Probably because they compare what occurs at Wigan and then compare what goes on at other clubs but why do you always seem to assume it isn't? It's not always someone else's fault.

Now that might actually be an unfair comparison in this case because most people probably don't have clue what goes on at other clubs and the same may have gone on before elsewhere but you have to admit, getting a new coaching team together and it dissolving after one season is not a good look.
Maybe just maybe this was fully Briers choice.
Obviously it is but that choice is made easier or harder by your current jobs circumstances and your current employers reaction. If you are in well paid secure employment as a coach the grass isn't always going to look greener.

So what sort of contract was he on if he can just leave after a year? One of those stupid rolling contracts like Lam was on? I don't know but I don't see anything about compensation for cutting his contract short.
Warriors Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Lee came to see myself and Matt a few days ago in a fairly emotional state. He said that a dream move to Australia has come up for him and he feels as though he can’t turn it down. In our original meeting with him many months ago, he stated that the NRL was a dream and we knew that if an opportunity came up, we wouldn’t stand in his way.  
Wigan are just weak and more excuses form Radlinski. Like I said I don't know what his contract was but its either rolling or a contract for a few years and if they just let him go as per usual when not on a rolling contract it sends another message Wigan is the club to go to if you want to leave and if the NRL come asking it's not a problem. I really don't think other clubs operate on this basis.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:40 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:25 am Tommy is nailed on to walk into the job - just like lockers before him and Powell will after him
I fear you're right
I not sure about Powell, although I have seen him at academy games, but both Lockers & Leuluai have done whatever it is they do for their coaching badges.

Don’t how far Tommy has gone, but O’Loughlin served & completed everything needed to become a coach. Now it’s just experience.
The RFL no doubt insist you have the relevant level coaching certificate but that doesn't mean you will be a good coach. Nor should it mean Tommy automatically walks into Briers shoes after he's left.

If the club doesn't advertise the position and judge who is the best candidate then it really is a jobs for the boys culture. One I had thought we moved away from with Briers.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am Why do people automatically take it as its the clubs fault?
Probably because they compare what occurs at Wigan and then compare what goes on at other clubs but why do you always seem to assume it isn't? It's not always someone else's fault.

Now that might actually be an unfair comparison in this case because most people probably don't have clue what goes on at other clubs and the same may have gone on before elsewhere but you have to admit, getting a new coaching team together and it dissolving after one season is not a good look.
Maybe just maybe this was fully Briers choice.
Obviously it is but that choice is made easier or harder by your current jobs circumstances and your current employers reaction. If you are in well paid secure employment as a coach the grass isn't always going to look greener.

So what sort of contract was he on if he can just leave after a year? One of those stupid rolling contracts like Lam was on? I don't know but I don't see anything about compensation for cutting his contract short.
Warriors Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Lee came to see myself and Matt a few days ago in a fairly emotional state. He said that a dream move to Australia has come up for him and he feels as though he can’t turn it down. In our original meeting with him many months ago, he stated that the NRL was a dream and we knew that if an opportunity came up, we wouldn’t stand in his way.  
Wigan are just weak and more excuses form Radlinski. Like I said I don't know what his contract was but its either rolling or a contract for a few years and if they just let him go as per usual when not on a rolling contract it sends another message Wigan is the club to go to if you want to leave and if the NRL come asking it's not a problem. I really don't think other clubs operate on this basis.
I don't always asume it isn't Wigans I just try and put across the none anti wigan tirade we get when anything like this happens.

Maybe it happens so much at wigan because of what we do well, good structured pathways to properly develop players.

In Briers case, has it just come around or is it a culmination of his time at Wire in the England set up and then the potential impact he has at wigan? Regardless of how much of it is actually down to an individual he's left wire and they have collapsed he's joined wigan and we are playing some of the best rugby in years.

The issue isn't Wigan it is 100% mismanagement of the game by the RFL, a recent interview with Walmsley summed it but. You are not considered the best unless you have played/coached in the NRL. It shouldn't have been allowed to get to that point and while that is the majority view regardless of contracts and t+c we will lose our best to the NRL
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

When the new coaching team was announced some months ago, a lot of people on this forum were very critical of the choices made by the club. Look how things have turned out. Matty Peet and Lee Briers have somehow against all the odds, put this club back in the headlines where we belong. I say good luck to him in his new venture down under. At the end of the day he is only doing what a lot of us have done in the past, myself included, and that is if an opportunity comes along that you can't turn down, then grab it by the horns. Who knows what next season brings. If Tommy gets the job then so be it. If Lockers moves up then what's the problem. Good luck Lee and thank you.