Wigan Squad for Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Graham1

Re: Wigan Squad for Wakefield

Post by Graham1 »

Just read Mattys comments we tackled determinedly. We conceded 5 tries and they had one disallowed.! Sorry but defensively we were poor and for him to say that worries me. And yes we did move the ball but sideways and no go forward. Hkr would have beaten us yesterday.

Lot of respect of what he is achieving this year but yesterday we were a shambles, and made Wakefield look good. Luckily we have Toulouse next which wii give us sometime to get ready for the big games. Fingers crossed and with the players coming back, hopefully we won’t see that kind of performance again this season.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Graham1 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 am Yes any team would miss those players. But we have conceded over 70 points in the last 2 away games. Not great as we are at the back end of the season. It was the manner of the tries we conceded in the first half. Miller walked under the posts from 25 yards out without a finger laid on him. And again from close range he put a forward through a huge gap we ankle tapped him but he still got up and scored under the posts without a Wigan player touching him. Poor defence and commitment.

When we did attack it was just like last year, they shut field and french down and we had no answer. A couple of occasions we had a number of sets on their line and never looked like scoring. The only forward to cause them problems was Mago and it looks like he is going to pick up a ban.

Second place not guaranteed yet we should beat Toulouse but if we play away to Hkr like we have done in the last 2 away games lose to Saints, then it’s all on against Catalan. But at least it’s in our own hands. It will be interesting to see how we respond
Watch that Miller try again. It's one of the most blatant obstructions you will ever see. At the game I thought it looked too easy and when you watch it again you will see why.
Wakefied were better and more enthusiastic than Wigan yesterday, some of our defending was awful, and that's where we miss Farrell, Bateman, Smithies and Powell.
While I'm having a moan, how can a game that kicks off at 3 p.m. finish after 5 p.m. something has to be done about players laying down "injured"!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am
Watch that Miller try again. It's one of the most blatant obstructions you will ever see. At the game I thought it looked too easy and when you watch it again you will see why.
Wakefied were better and more enthusiastic than Wigan yesterday, some of our defending was awful, and that's where we miss Farrell, Bateman, Smithies and Powell.
While I'm having a moan, how can a game that kicks off at 3 p.m. finish after 5 p.m. something has to be done about players laying down "injured"!!!!
That was what really angered me! The referee let them get away with it each time & each time the ‘severely injured’ player got back up & carried on playing. They deserved an Oscar for the over acting! I know we had water breaks, but that didn’t amount to the 15 - 20 minutes extra.
Even Lee Briers Dad was giving a good moan the feigned injuries!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

up the junction wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:45 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:34 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:00 pm Harvie Hill is playing for the academy today so can’t really see him in the squad tomorrow.

Scored a try in the first half 😊
:lol: Hes a good prospect for sure but playing two games in this heat would be a big ask :lol:
Ffin Harry Hill would do today to help out this performance
😟
I'd say Benny Hill :twisted:
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

TBH when I saw the substitutes bench, it gave away Matt's team plan. Essentially which was to batter and submit Wakefield down the middle

Now at a ground we have notoriously come unstuck at over the years, with a pack containing the likes of Tanginoa, Arona (and I know he didn't play - Fafita) etc it wasn't "clever" to attempt to play a forwards game in that heat and humidity - hind-site is fantastic!

The team had little option for variation and just lumping (essentially) 4 front rows on the list of replacements meant few impact players to change things - no fast/mobile players to wreak havoc against a tiring side if the side had shown a willingness to play away from the rucks rather than through them
Back by demand.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

For only the second time this season (Leeds, natch), I hesitate a tad before watching the full game on Wigan TV. But this time I haven't seen the game, only watched the brief highlights and listened to the commentary.

Anyway, I'm going in...
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am
Graham1 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 am Yes any team would miss those players. But we have conceded over 70 points in the last 2 away games. Not great as we are at the back end of the season. It was the manner of the tries we conceded in the first half. Miller walked under the posts from 25 yards out without a finger laid on him. And again from close range he put a forward through a huge gap we ankle tapped him but he still got up and scored under the posts without a Wigan player touching him. Poor defence and commitment.

When we did attack it was just like last year, they shut field and french down and we had no answer. A couple of occasions we had a number of sets on their line and never looked like scoring. The only forward to cause them problems was Mago and it looks like he is going to pick up a ban.

Second place not guaranteed yet we should beat Toulouse but if we play away to Hkr like we have done in the last 2 away games lose to Saints, then it’s all on against Catalan. But at least it’s in our own hands. It will be interesting to see how we respond
The country has gone soft and it is now seeping into RL.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

moto748 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:04 pm I'd draw the opposite conclusion from this, and other recent games (Salford/Hudds, Wire/Toulouse); maybe all the talk that the standard of the league is so terrible, only two decent teams, etc is a bit wide of the mark? Maybe the comp is a bit more competitive than it's given credit for? And, of course, Wakey had just everything to play for today.
Interesting post its given me food for thought Moto
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Haven’t seen full game, just the highlights but it looked as if a lot of the Wigan forwards weren’t bothered, lot of shirt pulling again, very poor defensively . Was it a case of thinking just turn up and we will win, some players seem to try against the better teams and show they are among the best in the league but are totally uninterested against teams we’re expected to beat easily, people have said on here about the good attitude the players have after we’ve played teams like saints, maybe it’s not as good as we think.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Hmm, well lets not forget the last minute disruption over Smithies and the injury list BUT its rare that Wigan don't look commited or get caned, very rare under Madge even rarer under Wane and with Lam we looked inept but still put the effort in.