Simply the best - Frank Malley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Simply the best - Frank Malley

Post by Brennox7 »

Just finished reading this book about the 8 in a row CC wins. Gave me a great insight into the club back in the 80s/early 90s.
I'm 33 this year so started watching Wigan back when I was 4 years old mid 90s but if you haven't read the book, try and get a copy.

Gives an insight into culture, controversy and employment etc. It's a cracker 👍
pedro

Re: Simply the best - Frank Malley

Post by pedro »

good video on youtube too a good watch
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I remember a book they did back inthe day……. It was a sort of fly on the wall book which was an excellent read….. not sure if its the same book though…… i sort of think it was by somebody called hansenbut could be completely wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
endoman

Post by endoman »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm I remember a book they did back inthe day……. It was a sort of fly on the wall book which was an excellent read….. not sure if its the same book though…… i sort of think it was by somebody called hansenbut could be completely wrong
Blood Mud and Glory, a great read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Glory-In ... 0720719402
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

endoman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:23 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm I remember a book they did back inthe day……. It was a sort of fly on the wall book which was an excellent read….. not sure if its the same book though…… i sort of think it was by somebody called hansenbut could be completely wrong
Blood Mud and Glory, a great read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Glory-In ... 0720719402
Thats the one cheers pal….. i liked the bit where shaun edwards was smashing frano in training to cement his place lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
BriH

Post by BriH »

By coincidence I'm re-reading 'Simply the Best'.

The bit about Mission Impossible is incredible.
After the 1991 Cup semi-final they played EIGHT matches in 18 days!! Nearly a match every other day. AND they only dropped 1 point!!
"Simply the best" is an understatement!!
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I've ordered this book and looking forward to reading it.
I remember travelling in the car and hearing the radio talking about how difficult this is going to be playing 8 games and it was unlikely we could do it..

BUT WE DID IT!!!!

Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Admittedly from memory - last five games something like Saints on the Thursday, Cas on the Sunday, Widnes on the Tuesday, Bradford on the Thursday and Leeds (away) on the Saturday.