Crusher tackle?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Crusher tackle?

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

It’s another where the player stays down and without the benefit of a video ref, the on field officials have decided something has happened.

Should the refs now call held once a player rotates and backs into the defender?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:14 am It’s another where the player stays down and without the benefit of a video ref, the on field officials have decided something has happened.

Should the refs now call held once a player rotates and backs into the defender?
True, but should they be guessing what has happened if none of them have genuinely seen it? I appreciate that refs have a difficult job, and wont get everything correct, but they cant be guessing what has happened because player A has stayed down holding the back of their head / neck. The right thing would be to put it on report, saying i havent seen the incident but Player A was holding back of neck after the tackle, then the review panel can judge on each incident

in regards to players backing into the tackle, then that could be a viable option as i personally think it has come into the game more in the last couple of years and to milk the penalty / get someone binned or sent off. If the ref stops momentum immediately, then the players will soon stop backing into tackles, as it stops momentum / chances of gaining a penalty. I am all for genuine crushers being punished appropriately (Powell earlier this year / Ferres on Gildart), but the petty ones need to be eradicated from the game as they are playing the ref, and trying to get a fellow player sent off
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Farrell backs into the tackle a lot too!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

If you watch Farrell (and others), backing into the tackle allows them to continue to make yards, sliding round the outside of tacklers as defenders then have to try and get directly in line with them. It's a good forward tactic and it's up to defenders to stop the attacker without fouling them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

the pieman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am
Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:14 am It’s another where the player stays down and without the benefit of a video ref, the on field officials have decided something has happened.

True, but should they be guessing what has happened if none of them have genuinely seen it? I appreciate that refs have a difficult job, and wont get everything correct, but they cant be guessing what has happened because player A has stayed down holding the back of their head / neck. The right thing would be to put it on report, saying i havent seen the incident but Player A was holding back of neck after the tackle, then the review panel can judge on each incident

in regards to players backing into the tackle, then that could be a viable option as i personally think it has come into the game more in the last couple of years and to milk the penalty / get someone binned or sent off. If the ref stops momentum immediately, then the players will soon stop backing into tackles, as it stops momentum / chances of gaining a penalty. I am all for genuine crushers being punished appropriately (Powell earlier this year / Ferres on Gildart), but the petty ones need to be eradicated from the game as they are playing the ref, and trying to get a fellow player sent off
Agree with that. But is it too simplistic to say (thinking of Mago, obviously) that if the tackled player is not injured, then no further action is required beyond the yellow he has already suffered, because by definition, no crushing has occurred? Or should he be further penalised for intent/recklessness?