Wigan Warriors Reserves v St Helens Reserves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stanfax

Re: Wigan Warriors Reserves v St Helens Reserves

Post by Stanfax »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:48 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:43 pm Full Time

Wigan Warriors Reserves 50 St Helens 12

Cracking game some brilliant young players coming through.

Well done Young Un’s 👏🏼👏🏼
I agree Josie. Nesembe was excellent today and I thought that Astley had a good game. As well as skill we have also got size.

He certainly never gave us up or let us down
Very droll!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good performance today with the backs showing some enterprise to really take it to Saints.

As usual Nsemba and Hill looked good but also Bibby, Brannan and Beardsworth ran strong. Awesome pack prospects coming through.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Stanfax wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:48 pm

I agree Josie. Nesembe was excellent today and I thought that Astley had a good game. As well as skill we have also got size.

He certainly never gave us up or let us down
Very droll!
😂😂 I had to stop & think about the reply then.

Mind you, I’ve just been woke up by one of the cats tapping on the bedroom window to come in!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

No reason why we shouldn’t retain Nsemba as we need to start to replace Isa and Farrell as they are now both in their early thirties. Then we have Partington and Shorrocks unsure whether they are seen as first choice starters in the long term or good back ups. Cooper only signed on a 12 month contract so we should be promoting the likes of Hill and company. I can understand losing players to Nrl but not to other super league clubs unless we don’t think they will make the grade. We seem to do all the hard work only for other clubs to benefit. It needs to stop.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am No reason why we shouldn’t retain Nsemba as we need to start to replace Isa and Farrell as they are now both in their early thirties. Then we have Partington and Shorrocks unsure whether they are seen as first choice starters in the long term or good back ups. Cooper only signed on a 12 month contract so we should be promoting the likes of Hill and company. I can understand losing players to Nrl but not to other super league clubs unless we don’t think they will make the grade. We seem to do all the hard work only for other clubs to benefit. It needs to stop.
I would rather be losing the really talented ones that we can't afford to keep to Super League clubs rather than the NRL, surely the more that stay in SL the stronger SL becomes, I am more than happy for other clubs to benefit as long as it creates a competitive league
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am No reason why we shouldn’t retain Nsemba as we need to start to replace Isa and Farrell as they are now both in their early thirties. Then we have Partington and Shorrocks unsure whether they are seen as first choice starters in the long term or good back ups. Cooper only signed on a 12 month contract so we should be promoting the likes of Hill and company. I can understand losing players to Nrl but not to other super league clubs unless we don’t think they will make the grade. We seem to do all the hard work only for other clubs to benefit. It needs to stop.
Yes! I think if other clubs are raiding our junior players, they should be made to pay a hefty fee for the work that has gone into making them good players.

Told James McDonald on Friday I will be gutted for him to leave Wigan & even tho he echoed my feelings, he won’t get consistent game time due to the likes of say Isa.

I don’t dislike Isa or Tommy for that matter, both, especially Tommy, have been excellent servants to the club, but we can’t keep on keeping the elder statesmen of the squad to the detriment of losing very good youngsters. But keeping a 33 year old forward compared to a 22 year old forward is crazy IMO 🙁
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Flash

Post by Flash »

I agree with your point, Josie, but one thing that's often overlooked on this subject is that these young players who are prepared to move rather than fight for their place at Wigan are also the type of player who would likely be looking for an early NRL move or would move to another club for more money etc. In other words, playing for Wigan isn't their be all and end all. Contrast this to someone like Faz or, in particular, Marshy who faced being behind 3 other wingers at one point but chose to stay and fight for his place.

The choice isn't always between an older player and a younger one. It also has to take in which player is more likely to give long term service to the club. Isa, Faz, Tommy etc have given many years to this club. Could the same be said for the young players currently leaving so readily for opportunities elsewhere? I seriously doubt it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:03 am I agree with your point, Josie, but one thing that's often overlooked on this subject is that these young players who are prepared to move rather than fight for their place at Wigan are also the type of player who would likely be looking for an early NRL move or would move to another club for more money etc. In other words, playing for Wigan isn't their be all and end all. Contrast this to someone like Faz or, in particular, Marshy who faced being behind 3 other wingers at one point but chose to stay and fight for his place.

The choice isn't always between an older player and a younger one. It also has to take in which player is more likely to give long term service to the club. Isa, Faz, Tommy etc have given many years to this club. Could the same be said for the young players currently leaving so readily for opportunities elsewhere? I seriously doubt it.
Of course, of course it is. But excluding Nicholson, the others I have spoke to haven’t wanted to leave, just the circumstances sadly.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Nsemba is a must keep, although he is (I think) a year younger than the rest he looks like he will be ready first. That could be some game time in the centre, moving into 2nd row as we did for KPP.
doc

Post by doc »

Nsemba has looked a bit lost at centre when he has played there and i don't think he is quick enough to play there either but he is an excellent second row prospect.