Wigan Warriors Reserves v St Helens Reserves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan Warriors Reserves v St Helens Reserves

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:35 am
Graham1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am No reason why we shouldn’t retain Nsemba as we need to start to replace Isa and Farrell as they are now both in their early thirties. Then we have Partington and Shorrocks unsure whether they are seen as first choice starters in the long term or good back ups. Cooper only signed on a 12 month contract so we should be promoting the likes of Hill and company. I can understand losing players to Nrl but not to other super league clubs unless we don’t think they will make the grade. We seem to do all the hard work only for other clubs to benefit. It needs to stop.
Yes! I think if other clubs are raiding our junior players, they should be made to pay a hefty fee for the work that has gone into making them good players.

Told James McDonald on Friday I will be gutted for him to leave Wigan & even tho he echoed my feelings, he won’t get consistent game time due to the likes of say Isa.

I don’t dislike Isa or Tommy for that matter, both, especially Tommy, have been excellent servants to the club, but we can’t keep on keeping the elder statesmen of the squad to the detriment of losing very good youngsters. But keeping a 33 year old forward compared to a 22 year old forward is crazy IMO 🙁
I’ve been saying that for a while about Isa, I think the club don’t like to lose his work ethic but if the backup or young forward behind Isa can’t match his work rate, they shouldn’t be playing.
My opinion is if you really want to play in the first team, you give everything you’ve got!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:09 am
Flash wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:03 am I agree with your point, Josie, but one thing that's often overlooked on this subject is that these young players who are prepared to move rather than fight for their place at Wigan are also the type of player who would likely be looking for an early NRL move or would move to another club for more money etc. In other words, playing for Wigan isn't their be all and end all. Contrast this to someone like Faz or, in particular, Marshy who faced being behind 3 other wingers at one point but chose to stay and fight for his place.

The choice isn't always between an older player and a younger one. It also has to take in which player is more likely to give long term service to the club. Isa, Faz, Tommy etc have given many years to this club. Could the same be said for the young players currently leaving so readily for opportunities elsewhere? I seriously doubt it.
Of course, of course it is. But excluding Nicholson, the others I have spoke to haven’t wanted to leave, just the circumstances sadly.
And the money.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

The problem at the moment is that these young guys are not given enough opportunities. IMO Isa this season has blocked the path of 2 descent young second rowers. Given the right game time and money why would you want to leave a club like Wigan. They could have been our back rowers for the next 5 years who knows. Look at Halsall we play him away at centre Wakefield when surely it’s better to play him at home against the likes of Toulouse. Will he be the next to leave?
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

It’s not just the players who can’t get a game and are leaving because of that,it’s the scholarship players thinking about signing for Wigan and seeing players not getting a game and going elsewhere, will it affect any future players trying their luck at other clubs
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:45 pm The problem at the moment is that these young guys are not given enough opportunities. IMO Isa this season has blocked the path of 2 descent young second rowers. Given the right game time and money why would you want to leave a club like Wigan. They could have been our back rowers for the next 5 years who knows. Look at Halsall we play him away at centre Wakefield when surely it’s better to play him at home against the likes of Toulouse. Will he be the next to leave?
The problem is that we couldn’t/wouldn’t offer the money Wire/Leeds offered.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just watched the game, really enjoyed it. I liked the look of Forber a lot, and of course Nsemba and Astley.