Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wgwr1999

Toby King

Post by wgwr1999 »

OFFICIAL: Signed for 2023 on a season-long loan. https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... HRn9svAnLA

Used to be brilliant until he got paid big. Not sure why we have only signed him for one season unless he's not the only centre we sign.
josie andrews

Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce the signing of Toby King on a season long loan for the 2023 season.

The 26-year-old will join the Cherry and Whites for the start of pre-season after penning a loan deal from Warrington Wolves.

Starting at Meltham All Blacks ARLFC, King was scouted by Warrington and went on to sign for the club’s Academy. He made his first team debut in 2014.

After playing in three Final defeats, the 6ft 2 centre tasted victory for the first time in the 2019 Challenge Cup Final when he featured for the Wolves in their win over St Helens at Wembley.

After a stand-out 2020, King was recognised with a place in the Super League Dream Team and was also drafted into Shaun Wane’s England train-on squad for the World Cup.

Younger brother of George who plays for Hull KR, Toby has represented Ireland once and has also played for England Knights three times.

After scoring 52 tries in 138 appearances for Warrington, he joined his hometown club Huddersfield Giants midway through the 2022 campaign and has since made seven appearances whilst on loan there.

On signing for Wigan in 2023, King said: “I’m really excited to meet everyone involved at this prestigious Club and compete at the very top for some trophies.”

Head Coach, Matt Peet, said: “We look forward to getting the best out of him. It’s an area we were looking to strengthen and it’s an opportunity for us and for him.

“It’s an opportunity that is exciting – getting him back firing. He’s a genuine centre, competes hard and combines size and pace with good ball skills. Players here who have played with him with England Knights speak highly of him and he comes here with strong references from Lee Briers, Mike Cooper and Jack Phillips.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/08/ ... toby-king/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Post by fozzieskem »

He’s not a player who caught my eye when Wigan have played against him but a centre is most welcome
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I assume that this is a response to Thornley being out for a very long time and Bibby moving on. Seems a bit odd when if we wanted a centre, then presumably an Aussie might have been picked out.
Doesn't say a lot for our youth set-up if we can't find someone to move up. The club statement doesn't really answer any questions.
God2

Post by God2 »

Meh an extremely average player and not an upgrade on Bibby.

Let’s see what we can get out of him.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

He must have been cheap. I was told categorically we were not interested in him. Maybe this has come out of the blue and they thought it's only a loan for a year.

Very poor signing but hey ho I'm ready to be proven wrong
Last edited by Wigan Watcher on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan have played a blinder there, not a single leak.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:20 pm He must have been cheap. I was told categorically we were not interested in him. Maybe this has come out of the blue and they thought it's only a loan for a year.

Very poor signing but hey ho I'm ready to be proven wrong
Snap, was told the same with a lot of emphasis.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I hope he isn’t instead of wardle….
pedro

Post by pedro »

God2 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:16 pm Meh an extremely average player and not an upgrade on Bibby.

Let’s see what we can get out of him.
Massive upgrade….Bibby shouldn’t be near the first team now, gos defence is comical…