Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I wonder....and I have no idea but how many first team centres are better than him at the moment I honestly think this is a good question because it would show us how good he is and the centres who would be running around him scoring tries,.

I feel I'm a King bashers here but I'm not Im sure he is a nice guy and I truly hope he is a world beater at Wigan and I have a lot of egg on my face.
Last edited by Wigan Watcher on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Best case scenario is he rediscovers his form and is great for us.

If he doesn’t and struggles then it gives Halsall more opportunity.

The fact he’s on loan means we have 2023 to blood Halsall in even more before deciding if he’s our next long term centre as well as potentially getting King on a deal if he does well and we aren’t happy with Halsall.

Win win for me.

The only other alternatives are:

1 - go all out with Halsall (he looks good but Peet either doesn’t trust him yet or is being very careful with him.

2 - persist with Thornley

3 - sign somebody on a 2-3 year contract and potentially block Halsall progress into first team
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Like someone else has said if your good enough your old enough. He is how old 21?
If this is the case then he should be at full potential for me at 21!

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:47 pm I cant believe people are more outraged at us signing King on loan than they were about signing Thornley permanently, the king deal is win win for Wigan, If he performs well it helps us, if he doesn't we aren't tied to him & we'll have no loyalties to him so can bring Halsall in for more game time if he isn't performing.

I personally believe he will get back to his best at Wigan.
I'm sure you're right but for myself he's not a player who's ever stood out that's my worry,because if not really noticed a player why sign him?

I don't feel anyone is "bashing" King but let's be fair wire are trying to offload him to anyone at this point a d you have to wonder why
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:56 pm Like someone else has said if your good enough your old enough. He is how old 21?
Really? Full potential at 21? I'll have what you're smoking
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:56 pm Like someone else has said if your good enough your old enough. He is how old 21?
Just say he isn’t good enough yet but will be after 1 more years development?

This current crop of youngsters have had their development impacted by Covid as well as not having a substantial competition to prepare them for super league.

Some players are late bloomers, others take a while to settle and others hit the ground running.

The best example is Williams and Hampshire. Williams hit the ground running whereas Hampshire never managed the make the transition.

I also dont think the good enough you’re old enough is as black and white. Halsall on his day is good enough, we have seen it, but the issue sometimes with youngsters is the consistency and being able to do it week in week out.

Same as the above, some players are naturals and can manage the pressure and consistency whereas others need more patience to get used to it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:41 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:25 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:50 pm Simply it counts on our salary cap. A player playing poorly.
Enough said
That’s true but finding a quality centre in the UK is extremely difficult.
It being difficult to find a good centre doesnt mean we accept a bad one!
If he continues to perform the way he has been doing then he is no good to us. Surely we have better options than Mr King at Wigan.
I didn’t say we should have signed King. We have one fit centre in the first team squad and that is Halsall. Unless we let French go and sign a non-federation player where do we get one from?
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:52 pm Best case scenario is he rediscovers his form and is great for us.

If he doesn’t and struggles then it gives Halsall more opportunity.

The fact he’s on loan means we have 2023 to blood Halsall in even more before deciding if he’s our next long term centre as well as potentially getting King on a deal if he does well and we aren’t happy with Halsall.

Win win for me.

The only other alternatives are:

1 - go all out with Halsall (he looks good but Peet either doesn’t trust him yet or is being very careful with him.

2 - persist with Thornley

3 - sign somebody on a 2-3 year contract and potentially block Halsall progress into first team
The only problem is that Thornley is out long-term.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:28 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:25 pm

That’s true but finding a quality centre in the UK is extremely difficult.
If he continues to perform the way he has been doing then he is no good to us. Surely we have better options than Mr King at Wigan.
I didn’t say we should have signed King. We have one fit centre in the first team squad and that is Halsall. Unless we let French go and sign a non-federation player where do we get one from?
Justin Olam
Charriots Offiah

medlocke wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:59 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:28 pm

Justin Olam
That would be very nice.