Peet previews Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Saints

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet gave his thoughts ahead of Friday’s Betfred Super League derby against St Helens at the DW Stadium.

Peet: “It’s one of the games everyone looks forward to, particularly at home.”

Tickets for the game are still available, you can get yours HERE.

Matt Peet gave his thoughts on ‘the game everyone is looking forward to’ against St Helens at the DW Stadium this Friday night.

“It’s one of the games everyone looks forward to,” Peet said, “particularly at home. As you would expect the excitement is there, there’s intensity in practice and everyone is just really looking forward to it.

“We haven’t had to remind the players of a lot, they know what these games are about. They all know that it’s straightforward and simple in the meeting room, but it’s being able to execute under physical and mental pressure, the pressure of the crowd and occasion – that’s what we take pride in and that’s what we’re all excited about.”

Having faced St Helens three times already this year, Peet offered his findings from the meetings so far: “I’ve learnt that they’re by far the most intense games. That concentration and commitment for the full 80 is the only way you’re going to win. Even the game where we got the win, it ebbed and flowed in the second half, the last one we got ahead and they clawed it back so it’s not going to be plain sailing. Again, it’s about who deals with the mental challenges as well as the physical.”

Wigan will be hoping to keep their home record intact on Friday night, a win for the Warriors would also deny St Helens the league leaders’ shield: “I know second place is on a knife-edge at the moment but for me we’re just concentrating on getting the best performance we possibly can on Friday, a win would go a long way. Once that’s out of the way the Hull KR and Catalans games become really important, I’m more than aware of it and we plan for it but this is Wigan v Saints, I think regardless of the league table and other meetings this year it’s about 80-minutes of trying to give the best for the fans, for the town and for one another.”

The Warriors are also expecting another healthy crowd on Friday night: “Absolute shout out to the fans, I’d encourage anyone and everyone who is in two minds to get down. I think it’s what the game deserves, not just because of the history and the tradition but the way the two teams have played this season and the way the last few games have gone – I don’t think anyone will regret buying a ticket for this one!”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/08/ ... -saints-3/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan