WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIGAN

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I remember Wigan being Wigan.
When we signed most of our players they were someone, someone who were performing well, someone who exited the public into wanting to get down there and see them perform.
I know things have changed but when was the last major signing we made?

Why do I feel we try to make do and mend?
We are supposed to be WIGAN!

Sutty

Re: WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIGAN

Post by Sutty »

Unfortunately those days are long, long gone. Gone are the days of "uncle Maurice" and his blank cheque book, the club almost going bankrupt because of the wage bill etc. I'd like nothing more than to have a team full of superstars but that can't happen under the current salary cap rules. No team in the league has a squad full of superstars. Our club is run as a business and it's a monumental job to balance the books and like others have said, there's a vision for the longer term future of the club and player roster that will take time to develop, but unfortunately we can't just throw money at it willy nilly.

I'd also add when was the last time any Superleague club signed a world class superstar? We just can't compete with the NRL salaries anymore.

Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I think Hastings, George Burgess, re signing John Bateman can be classed as superstar signings IMO. (not all workout well)

We did sign superstars back in the day like offiah, miles, lydon etc but we also had a habit of developing homegrown players like Edwards, Gregory, radlinski, Andy Farrell, betts etc.

We've just won the CC and 2nd in the league so we're doing alright with what we've got. I'm sure Wigan will sign a few more players and let go a few more before next season.

Luke Thompson was mentioned 👀🙏
Last edited by Brennox7 on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

But are there any world class superstars in our game anymore, either here or in Australia. The game has developed so much that there are many great grafting players but no real superstars. This is why the NRL isn't spoken about as much over here, there are big players but nobody who everyone says "did you see that guy for the Storm this morning"

So if you could sign anyone from any team who you could guarantee would make men, women and kids want to come down who would it be. You might as well sign Boris Johnson and play him on the wing, as this would generate more publicity than any rugby player.

But yesterday we announced Toby King, he was the big up and coming centre a couple of years back and it also looks like we are going to get Wardle for the other side, to me these are big signings and should in the future make people want to come down and watch us.

A back line of Field, Marshall, Wardle, King & French must be better than one BIG singing from Australia that only NRL fans know.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:07 am I remember Wigan being Wigan.
When we signed most of our players they were someone, someone who were performing well, someone who exited the public into wanting to get down there and see them perform.

What a ridiculous post.

Playing in a salary capped sport, including players like French and Field and you post this nonsense.

We have made a mid season signing of an English international prop, and just recruited an England Knights centre who has had a minor blip in form in an otherwise excellent career to date.

Some “fans” don’t deserve to support this great club and clearly don’t appreciate just how lucky they are at times.

No doubt when King starts playing well, which I’m sure he will you will be first on here singing his praises.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

King & Cooper are great signings in my opinion, retaining Field was a great signing, Cust has been a breath of fresh air and we have one of if not THE best academy producing talent. If French re-signs then its brilliant, if he doesn't, the club have still recruited well in the past 12 months and I would be all in all happy with the business we'd have done and the calibre of player we have signed, bar the odd exception which in my opinion is Thornley & Miski
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:16 am

What a ridiculous post.

Playing in a salary capped sport, including players like French and Field and you post this nonsense.

We have made a mid season signing of an English international prop, and just recruited an England Knights centre who has had a minor blip in form in an otherwise excellent career to date.

Some “fans” don’t deserve to support this great club and clearly don’t appreciate just how lucky they are at times.

No doubt when King starts playing well, which I’m sure he will you will be first on here singing his praises.
This, this and THIS!

We have assembled arguable the most exciting Wigan team in 20 years, we have won our record 20th Challenge Cup and it’s looking like we will be gearing up for a real dig at stopping our dearest old enemy in challenging for the Super League title

We have also targeted an area in which needs strengthening for 2023 with a player who has not that long ago earned himself a place in the 2020 dream team

YET some fans still find areas to moan and complain! Truly baffling post
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:16 am

What a ridiculous post.

Isn't it nice to have ones own opinion without being highly criticised

Ah well!

No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

In your almost 2000 posts have you ever posted anything positive? If you have I'm yet to see it.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Clearly you need to go to specsavers!