Don’t miss the Derby

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Don’t miss the Derby

Post by josie andrews »

Biggest Derby in Rugby League takes place at the DW Stadium this Friday, 26th August.

Over 18,000 tickets sold already.

100th meeting between the two teams in all competitions during the Super League era.

It’s second versus first in the Betfred Super League this Friday as the biggest Derby in Rugby League takes place at the DW Stadium!

Wigan face St Helens in a mouth-watering fixture and the fourth meeting between the two sides in 2022.

Saints have the edge so far this year, winning two of the three games, whilst the Warriors knocked out their arch rivals out of the Betfred Challenge Cup Semi Finals to go on and lift the trophy in the Final.

Over 18,000 tickets have been sold so far, with the South Stand close to sell out in what will be the 100th meeting between the two teams in all competitions during the Super League era.

Tickets for the game are on sale and will be available to purchase from the DW Stadium Ticket Office up until kick off on Friday at 8pm. Don’t miss it! Click HERE for all the details.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/08/ ... the-derby/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Gerrumonside

Re: Don’t miss the Derby

Post by Gerrumonside »

Let’s hope our team wear our home kit instead of that awful 3rd kit
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Looking forward to the game though!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors: Oliver Partington says he'd love to play against St Helens every week

Oliver Partington says there is always a unique feel around the town when Wigan Warriors face St Helens.

The two teams go head-to-head at the DW Stadium on Friday night, in the fourth meeting between the sides this season.

Partington is expecting a good atmosphere, and hopes the current squad can create some new derby memories.

He said: “Hopefully there will be a big crowd on, all the lads are looking forward to building on our performances.

They got one over us last time, so it’ll be nice to be on the right side of the result.

“We want to keep building towards the big games, but this is the biggest game right now and everyone’s eyes are on that.

“I’d love to play Saints every week if I could. It’s always class to test yourself against the best to see where you’re at.

“There is always a different feel around the town when we play them, so I’m looking forward to it.

“My main memory of this fixture is when Faz (Liam Farrell) scored in the last minute. Pretty sure it was boiling that day and I burnt my leg because I was in my full kit.

“It was a good day, and that’s probably my earliest memory.

“Faz is always sniffing around that try-line so hopefully he can get one.”

Partington states Wigan are continually trying to improve themselves, as they head into the Saints game on the back of last Friday’s 52-6 victory over Toulouse Olympique.

“We didn’t get the result we wanted the week before against Wakefield,” he added.

“We had a few little fixes that we needed to work on as a team, and we did that.

“We were chasing the performance more than the result, and focusing on ourselves more than Toulouse.

“We speak about the journey a lot and try to improve each week, just getting better. It’s pretty simple, whatever we do wrong, we try and fix it.

“Our goal is to keep improving and building towards the big games at the back end of the year.

“We go back to our culture every week, and that’s something that’s led by the lads and the coaches equally.

“We don’t just talk about performances, we discuss what we can do to be better people, to be better as a whole club.

“We are really good mates and are really tight, which means everyone wants to work for each other whether you are in the squad or not.

“We’ve proved that we are up there this year, but there are a lot of other teams doing that as well if you look around us.”

Friday’s clash against St Helens is the first of two games over the Bank Holiday weekend, with Matty Peet’s side travelling to Hull KR on Monday.

“Your body definitely feels it, but that’s why you’ve got a big squad,” Partington stated.

“We are confident in the people who can come in and do a job for us if needed.

“It’s a fixture so we’ve just got to get our job done and not focus on anything else.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... ek-3817504
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors: Brad O'Neill 'excited' for his first derby game at the DW Stadium against St Helens

Wigan Warriors’ Brad O’Neill says he can’t wait to play in a derby game at the DW Stadium for the first time.

The hooker has spent most of his life watching the matches against St Helens as a fan in the South Stand, but is set to feature on Friday night.

O’Neill states the intensity builds up throughout the week leading up to the games between the two clubs.

“I'm very excited,” he said.

I’ve played Saints once before this year and it was a massive game. It’ll be the same on Friday night.

“Everyone knows when this game is coming up, it’s something you always look for on the fixture list.

“I just think the intensity and excitement goes up through the week in training and everyone is on it, just getting ready.

“I’m not sure what it’s like to play Saints at home yet, but I’m sure the levels will go up and we’ll all be pumped.

“I’ve been watching this fixture all my life at the DW Stadium, especially the Good Friday ones, sitting in the South Stand behind the post.

“You can’t beat it, I can just remember how it would go off. The fans are really passionate about it, my family are all ready for it.

“I can’t wait to be a part of it.

“We are pleased with how the gap has closed between us and them. We want to win, and are still chasing trying to be at the top.

“We are chasing the best because we want to be the best.”

O’Neill says he was pleased by the way Wigan bounced back from their defeat to Wakefield in the 52-6 victory against Toulouse last time out.

“The week before was a poor performance by all of us,” he added..

“Toulouse are a similar side to Wakefield in the fact that they are in the bottom two and we knew they’d put up a real fight.

“I thought we showed lots of enthusiasm to stick to the game plan and we had a good performance.

“We had loads of energy to get off to a good start, and then carry that on throughout the game.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... ns-3817476
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Byrne says there has been a good feeling in training ahead of the clash with St Helens

Liam Byrne says there has been an “immense” feeling in Wigan Warriors’ training sessions this week ahead of the game with St Helens.

The two teams go head-to-head at the DW Stadium on Friday night, in their fourth meeting of the season.

Byrne states despite not being from Wigan, the fixture has become something that means just as much to him as the local lads.

He said: “We’ve had a good week in training, on the back of the win against Toulouse.

“The energy has been immense, and has had a really good feeling about it.

“We can’t wait for the last few games to round off the season, and hopefully we can secure that second spot.

“We are not looking too far ahead, because Wigan V Saints is the biggest match of the year, no matter what. These are the games we look forward to and we want to come out with a win to put us in the best position possible.

“They’ve been the benchmark for a few years, so to go against them always shows us where we are at as a team.

“We’ve had some great competitions with them so far this season, but this will be a great marker.

“We definitely have the squad and capability, it’s just about going out there and doing it. It won’t be easy but hopefully we can get the job done.

“A win would be massive going forward, as it would give us the confidence we could beat anyone.

“The match itself doesn’t really need to be talked about that much. We have touched on how big it is, but subconsciously it’s ingrained in everyone’s heads.

“I’m not from Wigan myself, but I know this game means everything to the people from St Helens and Wigan.

“That’s something that has grown on me, because coming into these weeks it’s already something in the back of your mind. You just feel like you can give that bit more.

“Even at youth level, it stuck with me. It’s always going to be the biggest game, and the ones I always look forward to playing.

“Hopefully the DW Stadium will be booming and it’ll be great to have all the Wiganers in there supporting us.”

Byrne says there is currently not a focus on the second game of the Bank Holiday double-header, which sees Wigan travel to Hull KR on Monday.

“I’ve not even thought about that game yet,” he added.

“The size of the Saints game sort of takes your mind off everything else. We’ve got one job for now, and we want to get it done, so we’re not looking at anything else.

“Friday’s game is on such a big scale, and means so much to all of the lads, including myself.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... ns-3817914