Match Preview: St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Richymac

Re: Match Preview: St Helens

Post by Richymac »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:06 pm Only way tonight gets better is if Bevan announces he’s staying on the Skypad 🤞🏻
He was very tactical with his language! Just leaves us all guessing. Think he’s probably just being held up by agents or something either stating or leaving.
All I can say is I’m in my 20s and I’ve only seen a few players that have made me smile as much while watching!
Also, he seems like a genuine bloke and if he does go then fair play to him!
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Personally I think its pretty much a case of he’s decided he is staying but they wont announce it incase any factors outside of Wigans/French’s control end up going wrong.
endoman

Post by endoman »

The winding up of Welsby worked a treat. He wasn't in shot for any of our long range tries. Sadly couldn't be there as working late and live to far away, but hopefully get to Hull KR on Monday.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

What a nice evening we'll played no complaints at all

As for French the longer it goes on the less likely I feel he is to stay but I'm a fatalistic in outlook.

Welsby wound tight as a miser and his wallet
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:24 pm Personally I think its pretty much a case of he’s decided he is staying but they wont announce it incase any factors outside of Wigans/French’s control end up going wrong.
Interesting, I've just watched it and thought it pretty much confirmed he was off to Oz. Of course I hope he stays.

I think Field is a massive, massive signing for Wigan though. Quite possibly the quickest player ever in a Wigan shirt, and a fair bit of skill too.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:54 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:24 pm Personally I think its pretty much a case of he’s decided he is staying but they wont announce it incase any factors outside of Wigans/French’s control end up going wrong.
Interesting, I've just watched it and thought it pretty much confirmed he was off to Oz. Of course I hope he stays.

I think Field is a massive, massive signing for Wigan though. Quite possibly the quickest player ever in a Wigan shirt, and a fair bit of skill too.
See I presumed he was going and the way he worded it it sounded like if his family part is sorted he's staying.

Without being political we could lose French to post Brexit immigration requirements/process if his family is trying to move.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
saint

Post by saint »

Congratulations guys . Totally deserved .
One thing was evident . Your team wanted to ensure you won at all cost !

I thought we were gutless and that’s what hurts not the score or the result .
Some of the comment on here are totally right. .you got into welsby from the off , dominated our middle which I never thought I’d say . I seen nothing but effort for your team , we were soft and heartless , unacceptable and disappointing from our point today view

Ive seen us play well twice this year but never seen us be so submissive and that’s something I ain’t seen since Cunningham .

Your team has played like you want your team to play in a Derby , so respect for that !

Enjoy your night and we’ll done
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:16 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:54 pm

See I presumed he was going and the way he worded it it sounded like if his family part is sorted he's staying.

Without being political we could lose French to post Brexit immigration requirements/process if his family is trying to move.
I VERY much doubt if Brexit leads to it being more difficult to bring in Australians (and I voted Remain!)
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Nice one, saint, a terrific win. Defended so well, and took our chances in attack. That's what it's all about. How good are our back three? A long time since Wigan's had better, I think.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:04 pm Great win.

Surely to be expected given Saints injuries?

Oh wait, we also have 4 of our starting 13 out in Bibby, Thornley, Tommy and Powell as well as Ethan Havard.
Thought exactly the same when I just read the BBC report:
Saints, without key injured duo Tommy Makinson (knee) and Will Hopoate (hamstring)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐