Wigan v St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Richymac

Re: Wigan v St Helens

Post by Richymac »

I forgot to say it on the night but Liam Marshall was my motm. That first half of his was really good, especially tackling Hurrell 1v1 early on.
boggart

Post by boggart »

The most pleasing aspect for me is that we were able to more than hold our own up the middle, which has been absent a lot of the time this season, and which made space for the opportunists out wide. Thanks to Mike Cooper for that, he's tipped the balance by adding to what was there already, in my view. Centres who can defend, most of the time, also helped. Havard's return can only improve things. I hesitate to say this out loud, but this formula could be a recipe for a Grand Final win; if they can produce this performance consistently. Apols in advance if I've put the mockers on it.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Richymac wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:49 pm I forgot to say it on the night but Liam Marshall was my motm. That first half of his was really good, especially tackling Hurrell 1v1 early on.
Not for me he made two unenforced errors in the first half.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:07 pm
Richymac wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:49 pm I forgot to say it on the night but Liam Marshall was my motm. That first half of his was really good, especially tackling Hurrell 1v1 early on.
I'm just watching the game back now. Yes, he did, but after that first error, his next involvement was to tackle Hurrell and force the ball loose. And later, he put in that 110% effort to recover his position and dive in to prevent Hurrell scoring that much-debated non-try. As the Aussies say, that was an Origin play.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Also, I can't believe the commentary didn't mention Welsby trampling over French when scored his first try, clearly deliberately.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:27 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:07 pm
I'm just watching the game back now. Yes, he did, but after that first error, his next involvement was to tackle Hurrell and force the ball loose. And later, he put in that 110% effort to recover his position and dive in to prevent Hurrell scoring that much-debated non-try. As the Aussies say, that was an Origin play.
I thought he played well but he needs to tidy one or two things up. I have been saying for a while that he needs to have better ball security, which I am happy to say has improved over the last few weeks, and he should have left Simm to claim the kick to the corner and then tackled him.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I paused the game when I made the last post; I've re-watched it all now. I do think Marshall had a very good game, I think he negated a couple of errors with some very good efforts in attack and defence. Another thing that struck me was that Shorrocks, who has come in for a bit of criticism lately, when asked to do a more Lam-era tackling stint, did so admirably, in what looked like another piece of smart coaching to me.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am Also, I can't believe the commentary didn't mention Welsby trampling over French when scored his first try, clearly deliberately.
Yes no mention of golden child’s dirty tactics! That’s what started the small melee with Batchelor & Smithies, sticking up for his smaller mate.

Also can’t believe it was either O’Connor or Wilkin who referred to Welsby as the best FB in SL 😂😂😂 The little 💩🏠 😉😉

https://twitter.com/c_allen84/status/15 ... 56928?s=12
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Flash

Post by Flash »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:51 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am Also, I can't believe the commentary didn't mention Welsby trampling over French when scored his first try, clearly deliberately.
Yes no mention of golden child’s dirty tactics! That’s what started the small melee with Batchelor & Smithies, sticking up for his smaller mate.

Also can’t believe it was either O’Connor or Wilkin who referred to Welsby as the best FB in SL 😂😂😂 The little 💩🏠 😉😉

https://twitter.com/c_allen84/status/15 ... 56928?s=12
It was Clarke, Josie. He seems to have lost the plot a bit recently.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, I remember Coote being the previous owner of that acclaim, Josie, and Bevan French running rings round him!