Next two games?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Next two games?

Post by southportcdm »

It would seem to make sense to play a mainly reserve team on Monday and a strong side against the Catalans bearing in mind we get a week off following that one. I'm not certain that resting most of the players for both games would be the best thing to do. Hopefully there will be a couple players back from injury and they'll need some game time. Any comments? We'll have played three in eight days now that they've moved the Catalans game so I'm sure the coaching staff will try to reduce the workload as much as possible.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Next two games?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We will definitely want to maintain our 100% home record so I think we will see a strong team on Friday.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It makes no sense resting players and putting out weakened teams, We must keep the intensity and momentum up until seasons end
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

The only sensible approach is to rest pretty much the whole team on Monday and pick our strongest team against Catalans. Backing up after only 2 days off after a derby is a ridiculous situation and if it were up to me the only players who played against Saints that might feature on Monday are the players who didn't necessarily play big minutes like Mago and Shorrocks and then maybe returning players like Leuluai and Havard. The rest of the team would be made up of fringe players that didn't feature such as Miski, Bibby, Halsall, Partington and McDonnell and then some youngsters. It would make absolutely no sense at all for ANY key player to feature unless they need to get up to speed having had some time out. Backing up from a short turnaround just seems far too risky. If players like French, Field, Smith, Cust etc. get named in the squad I'm taking the wheels off the team coach.

Hull KR have their injury problems, players missing through suspension and the Hull derby next weekend so I doubt they would have much of a desire to play this match either, so they might chuck a few academy players into the team too so if you're going to throw in a load of young players this seems like the game to do it.

Then against Catalans it should be our strongest side minus anyone who is carrying a knock and isn't worth risking. If we rested too many players then it's like having two full weeks off which isn't good preparation for a knockout game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

All the players who played last night bar Liam Farrell went into a cryo chamber after the game.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

All the players who played last night bar Liam Farrell went into a cryo chamber after the game.

I thought that was a nightclub in Wigan first time I read it and had to Google cyro chamber lol
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

HKR away is a rogue fixture, especially as we are asking the team to play 3 times in a week, we then have a wait of 14 days ish to the semi....

Anyone carrying a knock from Saints should not be risked on Monday and its a real opportunity for some of the fringe and returning players lads except that a few of those candidates would have played for the Academy away at Saints today...a big ask.

Academy team for today did not include Harvie Hill, Junior Nsemba, Forber nor Jack Bibby, all lads I'd expect to be stepping up soon. Granted they could have played for Champs teams but maybe they were kept back for HKR?

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... 38/photo/1