Tommy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Tommy

Post by Barney841 »

Star player for this club but the time has definitely come for him to retire
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Definitely time to retire as a player and what a great servant to the club he has been.

Not sure about the coaching role. He can’t possibly bring anything new to the table having been here so long. If players want to go into coaching it would probably be better for them if they did so at another club. Not necessarily easy to do as other clubs may not be interested.

The club itself is going to have to stop giving jobs for the boys sooner or later. They can’t employ every long serving player as a coach.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:46 pm Definitely time to retire as a player and what a great servant to the club he has been.

Not sure about the coaching role. He can’t possibly bring anything new to the table having been here so long. If players want to go into coaching it would probably be better for them if they did so at another club. Not necessarily easy to do as other clubs may not be interested.

The club itself is going to have to stop giving jobs for the boys sooner or later. They can’t employ every long serving player as a coach.
This is true and the finish line is in sight for the likes of faz and isa for example it will hit us hard when briers leaves and I’d of loved to see someone new come in to replace him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:55 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:46 pm Definitely time to retire as a player and what a great servant to the club he has been.

This is true and the finish line is in sight for the likes of faz and isa for example it will hit us hard when briers leaves and I’d of loved to see someone new come in to replace him
I couldn’t agree more.
When you being someone in from outside the club there’s more of a chance they have their own ideas then someone who’s getting promoted within thats just familiar with the playing style they’ve been already learnt
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:55 pm

Farrell just signed a 3 year deal
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm not saying Briers hasn't added anything but this constant look at what Briers Brough takes away from what Matty Peet has brought.

That said for me lockers and TL as assistant just seems like having two defensive assistant coaches.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:29 pm Not sure how I feel about the coaching just smacks of the jobs for the boys culture and as others have said you can see how the introduction of briers made a massive difference
+1. Hardly surprising though, hope it works out for us and himself. Great servant to the club and a good professional but a big step up for so early in his coaching career
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:37 pm I'm not saying Briers hasn't added anything but this constant look at what Briers Brough takes away from what Matty Peet has brought.

That said for me lockers and TL as assistant just seems like having two defensive assistant coaches.
It was alchemy the partnership between Peet and Briers I don't think anyone could have seen it working so well,I said at the time that Breiers leaving it was going to hurt wigan for years to come if as we all knew the club decided to go with Tommy as coach..

Briers brought much look at Harry Smith from lost soul to for me a half back who should be in the world cup squad I'd say he's added a lot this season.

As for your point t about 2 defensive coaches is bang on I just hope they know how to coach attacking play.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, lots of people said "jobs for the boys" about Matty Peet...
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A statement from Thomas Leuluai

Thomas Leuluai has written the following statement on his announcement that he will retire as a Rugby League professional at the end of the 2022 season and become Warriors Assistant Coach for 2023 and beyond.

I honestly don’t know where to start.

It’s been an incredible journey, back in 2003 when I made my debut for the New Zealand Warriors, I never thought I’d be writing this 20 years later.

When players and teammates around me retired, I often wondered how they knew it was the right time to do so, but I can honestly say I feel so content with my own decision and it’s true what they say, you know when it’s time.

I look back throughout the years and I just feel incredibly grateful for everything that Rugby League has given me. There have been wonderful times on the field, and amazing times off it. I’ve loved them all but without a doubt the best thing Rugby League has given me is the friendships I have made.

There are so many people I need to thank, I really want to thank them personally and will do so over the next couple of weeks but to all the coaches, trainers, physios, doctors and office staff that have helped me along my journey, thank you so much. To all the fans of all the clubs I have been at, thank you.

I have to give special mention to the Wigan fans that have taken me in like one of their own, you are what make this Club such a special team to play for, it has been a privilege to represent your team and your town.

To all my teammates I can’t thank you enough – I’ve loved going to battle alongside you all. I’ve also loved all the great times we have had off the field, there are so many great memories that I will forever cherish.

Last but definitely not least to my family, my Mum, Lenore and my dad, James, thank you for your endless support and guidance, especially my dad who I have looked up to my entire life. To my siblings, Folole, Macgraff, Ruvea, thanks for always having my back through the highs and the lows. I appreciate you guys. To all my aunties, uncles and cousins, there are too many to name, thanks so much for the support, I’ve always tried to represent our family to the best that I can. Special mention to my cousin Kylie, who has always been such a great role model for me throughout my career. Also, to my manager, Peter Brown, who has been with me the entire way. Which leads me to my wife, Natalie, I can’t thank enough for everything you have done. You have made sacrifices along the way that make me forever grateful. You and our three girls, Wynter-Rose, Storm and Romi, mean the world to me and you have given my career such great balance. I can’t wait to see what the next chapter has for us.

Thanks,

Tommy.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/08/ ... s-leuluai/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan