Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up elbow

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

So we all know powell is 100% going to be straight back in the team no questions asked

Here’s a controversial idea

Play him at 6 - I genuinely feel we lose less having in the halves than we do having him at 9

I would suggest spelling him but it’s also something they refuse to do with him so he will play and play 80mins
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e

Post by Caboosegg »

Oh look a Cust thread is becoming another Anti Powell thread :lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 pm Oh look a Cust thread is becoming another Anti Powell thread :lol:
I’m not anti Powell I’m pro wigan - I want the best for Wigan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 pm Oh look a Cust thread is becoming another Anti Powell thread :lol:
It was the only new bit of information included in the quote. Lol
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:30 pm So we all know powell is 100% going to be straight back in the team no questions asked

Play him at 6 - I genuinely feel we lose less having in the halves than we do having him at 9

I would suggest spelling him but it’s also something they refuse to do with him so he will play and play 80mins
I'm tired of seeing this rubbish from 4 or 5 of you on here.

You are fully entitled to your opinion about how good or bad Sam is. You are also fully entitled to repeat your view of him ad nauseam on any thread you like. And you're equally entitled to a view as to what type of hooker you would prefer to see in our team.

However, the way you state your ridiculous opinion as fact, time and time again, doesn't make it true. The "they" to which you refer are the past 3 or 4 Wigan coaches who pick the team. Their reputation and future employment depend on their success, ie the success of the team.

What earthly reason would experienced SL coaches have to regularly pick a player who even someone whose experience of professional sport is limited to buying a ticket and posting on a fans forum can see is not up to it? (That may or may not apply to you - I'm saying it in a general sense.) And why would the club risk underachieving by repeatedly renewing the contract of a player who even the man on the Clapham omnibus can see is not up to scratch?

If you could give believable answers to these questions, you may convince a few more people of what, supposedly, "we all know . . ."

For the play-off games, including the GF if we get there, I'm confident that Matty Peet and his coaching team will select the players that they believe will help us win the trophy. You're welcome to disagree with their choice, and to strongly believe that you know better, but don't insult Peet, Lockers and Briers by implying that they are blind and stupid enough to make a choice that is so obviously wrong.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

1. Powell will be picked. Peet has been superb this year, and even if he picks Powell and we lose, he is massively in credit as far as I am concerned.
2. We have played Saints 4 times, and lost both times Powell played, and won (in our best performances of the year) when O’Neill was hooker. I like O’Neill because, as he offers a running threat, it keeps the defence honest around the ruck. That frees up space further out, and in French and Field there are no better players in the league. That’s a reasonable opinion, and the evidence of the games against Saints supports this.
Wigan_forever1985

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:30 pm So we all know powell is 100% going to be straight back in the team no questions asked

However, the way you state your ridiculous opinion as fact, time and time again, doesn't make it true. The "they" to which you refer are the past 3 or 4 Wigan coaches who pick the team. Their reputation and future employment depend on their success, ie the success of the team.

What earthly reason would experienced SL coaches have to regularly pick a player who even someone whose experience of professional sport is limited to buying a ticket and posting on a fans forum can see is not up to it? (That may or may not apply to you - I'm saying it in a general sense.) And why would the club risk underachieving by repeatedly renewing the contract of a player who even the man on the Clapham omnibus can see is not up to scratch?
Im happy to debate this - so on your first point about statin it as fact when it is - but it is - Sam Powell since mickey mac has never not been picked when he was fit enough to play - so that makes it fact until the day he isn’t at which point i will happily admit it isn’t fact

On your second point about him being picked so I think this is multi faceted

1) until this year since Micky Mac left powell and no senior hooker to challenge him therefore despite him not being what I would consider a top hooker if I was coaching Wigan I would I’d picked him too because there wasn’t really any other options

2) sam himself seems like a proper good bloke and I can imagine he is an exemplary trainer and a complete and total professional. He gives 100% every game and he is ultra fit so I am not suggesting he is terrible or he is somehow replaceable by the mascot - I also believe that in the modern game and the current standard of the league he js good enough 80% of the time just not in the proper matches I.e against the best

3) the idea that multiple coaches have picked him has been completely debunked by the fact Shaun wane (one of the coaches in that list) picked 5 hookers ahead of him for England - so going back to point 1 to put it crudely can only p**s with the d**k you have - if you only have 1 hooker in your team chances are coaches will pick that hooker

4) on the idea that coaches wouldn’t risk their rep - wigan are up with the better teams 1 player won’t break that - matty peet could get to the gf and lose with Powell and it wouldn’t be a issue - there isn’t that risk - Powell is clearly part of the inner circle at Wigan probably down to his consummate professionalism and likeable character. He will have a future in the coaching set up I would guess and he would never let the club down and it’s always harder to drop players like that as O’Neil will be seen with plenty time ahead of him to play - Powell is here and now

I come back to the point it’s not that we can’t win games with Powell in the team it’s not that Powell is a bad person nothing is aimed at powell - wigan have a habit of being overly emotional about players i rememebr a comment on Tommy earlier in the season that he had earnt the right to chose when he retired - absolutely crock of rat poo - no player should decide this a team should decide when they aren’t useful anymore

We haven’t won against saints for 2 years except the 2 times powell didn’t play

I tell you what I will give £50 to the charity of your choice is powell doesn’t immediately return to the squad as soon as he is fit to do so even if that is in the final when he’s been out for 3-4 weeks
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Play him at 6? You must be joking.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 pm

I'm tired of seeing this rubbish from 4 or 5 of you on here.

You are fully entitled to your opinion about how good or bad Sam is. You are also fully entitled to repeat your view of him ad nauseam on any thread you like. And you're equally entitled to a view as to what type of hooker you would prefer to see in our team.

If you could give believable answers to these questions, you may convince a few more people of what, supposedly, "we all know . . ."

For the play-off games, including the GF if we get there, I'm confident that Matty Peet and his coaching team will select the players that they believe will help us win the trophy. You're welcome to disagree with their choice, and to strongly believe that you know better, but don't insult Peet, Lockers and Briers by implying that they are blind and stupid enough to make a choice that is so obviously wrong.
If you start listening to the fans you finish up sitting with them 😮
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’m locking this thread as it is about Cust, his injury & whether he will be fit for the play offs or Grand Final.

NOT about POWELL!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan