Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up elbow

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up elbow

Post by josie andrews »

Tonight Wigan secured their unbeaten home record for the regular season in 2022 meaning if they win their final home game of the season, a semi-final on the 16th September, they will return to the Grand Final maintaining their remarkable record of appearing in every other Grand Final since 2016 which was also their third consecutive Grand Final appearance.

They’ll need their best players playing to wrestle the trophy away from St Helens and many of them shone tonight with Bevan French and Liam Marshall scoring twice whilst Jai Field caused havoc when facing off against a young Catalans side before he was given a deserved rest ahead of the play-offs.

He was joined by another key Wigan player in Cade Cust who picked up a nasty elbow injury in tonight’s 48-4 win.

He went straight down the tunnel and remerged in a sling.

After the game Matt Peet adressed whether we’re likely to see Cust play in Wigan’s next game – a semi-final in a fortnight’s time.

“If you ask me now,” Peet said when asking if Cust would play in the semi, “I’d say a doubt it. The semi-final I’d imagine will be too soon.

He went straight down the tunnel and remerged in a sling.

After the game Matt Peet adressed whether we’re likely to see Cust play in Wigan’s next game – a semi-final in a fortnight’s time.

“If you ask me now,” Peet said when asking if Cust would play in the semi, “I’d say a doubt it. The semi-final I’d imagine will be too soon

It’s very early days. We have our fingers crossed.”

Fortunately Wigan welcomed back experienced halfback/hooker Thomas Leuluai who helped guide Wigan to Challenge Cup glory earlier this season when he replaced Cust late on in the final when he picked up a different elbow injury in the capital.

The Warriors are also set to welcome back Sam Powell for the play-offs whilst tonight’s Man of the Match Harry Smith is cemented in the Wigan halves and Peet showered him in praise: “He’s kicking well, more often than not he turns four into six. He’s building a game which is credit to the coaching staff but most importantly credit to him and his game.”

He wouldn’t comment on whether he should be England’s number seven saying: “I don’t like getting involved in that. We have some top halves in George [Williams] and Jonny Lomax but sometimes in these tournaments it’s a young player who comes out of the blue and grips them and it could be Harry but there’s a few queuing up there.

“I’d love to see him in that team, I’d love to see any player who’s come through our system playing. Whoever Shaun picks I’ll be behind them.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/matt-pee ... ons-58472/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We shall see with Cade, but there are a wide range of arm injuries which can be initially painful. I would not give up on him yet.

If fit, Powell or no Powell, that is the bigger question.
Caboosegg

Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e

Post by Caboosegg »

It's annoying as cust at hooker and Smith and TL in the halves looked good
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Our best chance of beating saints is cust and smith in the halves…… not sure young brad should be dropped if powell returns….. hes smashed it
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 am Our best chance of beating saints is cust and smith in the halves…… not sure young brad should be dropped if powell returns….. hes smashed it
I agree young Brad while not the finished article is looking better with each game I'd stick with him if Cust is fit
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Very disappointing for Cade. I was thinking that our strongest squad for the playoffs would have Tommy on the bench. However, if Tommy can manage a full game at 6, I don't think we lose too much (weaker on attack, stronger in defence?). I would be more concerned with the long term implications of this latest injury. Does Cade have a problem that will keep re-surfacing and, if so, do we now need to get some cover for next season? He's missing too many games for a 23 year old. I don't think you can just say it's bad luck when it's the same type of injury each time. Does anybody know if there are real concerns about Powell making it back for the semi? I was expecting to see him last night. Although I'm a big fan of O'Neil I think the squad for the playoffs would be stronger with Sam starting and Brad on the bench.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:48 am Very disappointing for Cade. I was thinking that our strongest squad for the playoffs would have Tommy on the bench. However, if Tommy can manage a full game at 6, I don't think we lose too much (weaker on attack, stronger in defence?). I would be more concerned with the long term implications of this latest injury. Does Cade have a problem that will keep re-surfacing and, if so, do we now need to get some cover for next season? He's missing too many games for a 23 year old. I don't think you can just say it's bad luck when it's the same type of injury each time. Does anybody know if there are real concerns about Powell making it back for the semi? I was expecting to see him last night. Although I'm a big fan of O'Neil I think the squad for the playoffs would be stronger with Sam starting and Brad on the bench.
It is his other arm.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 am Our best chance of beating saints is cust and smith in the halves…… not sure young brad should be dropped if powell returns….. hes smashed it
I agree he shouldn’t be especially as we have only beaten saints twice in two years when Brad has played - however there’s more chance of me playing in semi than powell being dropped he will walk straight back in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

To be fair to Cust, in the CC final his arm got bent backwards, it would have dislocated anyone's arm.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

One of the commentators last night had it right: “Sam Powell picks himself.”
There is no chance on earth that he doesn’t play if he considers himself fit enough.