Warriors Reserves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Warriors Reserves

Post by widdenoldboy »

southportcdm wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:17 pm I don't want to mention the result in case anyone wants to watch it on Wigan tv later. But if anybody who watched it or who was at the game today has a few minutes I'd appreciate any comments. In particular, which players look most likely to make an impact on the first team in the future. Thanks in advance.
As you might expect I'd say Halsall for sure, very good classic centre play today.
Prop forwards - all are very good, hard to say who will make the grade (maybe all of them) but Hill, Brannon and Bibby seem closest and Wood, Wilson are not far behind. Nsemba is a good back row prospect for sure.

Sorry - forgot the backs - O'Keefe has good instincts but on the small side (that can change). Astley/Tyrer look pretty good but not outstanding (yet).
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It's our forwards that have really made the difference at reserve level this year. As mentioned above, Hill, Brannan and Bibby have been outstanding and have been a nightmare for defences to deal with all year.

Halsall was man of the match and he looked a cut above the rest. We really need to get him into the first team more next season as there's bags of potential there. I know he fluffed an opportunity against Wakefield and had a poor game which maybe cost him his chance but Bibby has had countless poor games and kept his place in what was certainly our weakest position this year.

O'Keefe was impressive on the wing. I really like the way he plays, whether it's on the wing, at centre which I think is his preferred position, or at second row where he's played a few times too. He's a grafter with a bit of pace too. I think he's probably pushed himself ahead of Alex Sutton in the pecking order this year. He should offer capable cover in the backs next year.

James McDonnell had a strong game overall but his discipline was pretty dire in a game that didn't really have any nastiness. He should fit in well at Leeds given their disciplinary issues this year.

Nsemba had a quieter game than usual but still had some stand out moments including a lovely break late on to set up a try and putting on an absolutely monster fend while making one of many strong carries.

The halves looked good but it's hard to judge when our pack is pretty dominant at this level. Forber also looks very assured. Again, it's hard to judge hookers at this level because we've had loads through the years who looked good but never quite made it. He looks a talent though.

Hanley was reasonably good in the first half but quiet in the second. I just don't think he's proven he's got what it takes to make it in the first team though. He should be far more influential at this level given the experience he's had but there's definitely talent there and maybe it's time for him to drop down to a lower level and take on a new challenge and try to build his way back up.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Yeh, forgot that O'Keefe can play in the 2nd row and looked really good there, with his small stature, excellent line running and good feet he reminds me of Faz a bit. If he could developthat way I'd be very happy :D
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I imagine that a few of those lads have not settled into their final positions. Tyrer is big for a stand off and I could imagine a him at 13 or in the centre's if he has enough pace. It will be interesting to see who we send out on loan next season.