POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think it’s radlinski who is the main driver behind powell

If you read rads autobiography biography he makes a big point of saying how he wasn’t talented like some others but he worked harder than them - I always got the impression he was almost jealous of those with natural talent who didn’t have to put I. The effort in he did just to make the cut

I think he thinks (and I’d agree with in some ways) he’d rather have players like Powell idolised by the team and base the culture round someone who is a methodical trainer and consummate professional- he would much rather have a Sam Powell be rewarded the first name on the team sheet than say a zak hardaker or a Jackson hastings players blessed with talent but not professionalism

Trouble is hard work will only take you so far sport is cruel it doesn’t have sentiment it won’t let the hardest worker simply be the best or even good enough you need talent

Powell is simply not good enough to play for a top team - it’s a bit like if you’re a musician you can play all the right notes and be technically sound but if you lack emotion the tune just won’t sound the same - in this case the talent js the emotion - Powell just can’t do it - he just isn’t good enough he will never be

It’s sad because I wish he was I genuinely wish he was but he will hold this team back and anyone facilitating that is equally culpable
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bertina

Post by bertina »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:27 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:03 pm Whether we lost just because of Powell or not isn’t the issue and poor performances from other players and the coach should not be used as excuses to let him off. This thread is about Powell the player and last night he proved once again he’s not good enough.

The fact Peet picked him when he wasn’t match fit is Peet’s fault not Powell’s but if those who think the sun shines out of his backside still aren’t convinced that he needs to be moved on then I give up.
+1
+2
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Can we please stop bashing this player and looking for excuses why we lost if you think Farrell cust bateman french you won’t be far out look forward to next year
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think the point about Powell being popular because he makes the most of whatever talent he may possess makes sense. Similarly, Wane was a 13 who bulked up to be a prop and was obsessed with picking and signing manufactured props.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Enough is enough. The lad has been well and truly crucified. Congratulations. This thread is becoming unseemly. Time to let it. rest. We observers have got the gist. Now wrap it up please
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

archiekeith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:23 am Enough is enough. The lad has been well and truly crucified. Congratulations. This thread is becoming unseemly. Time to let it. rest. We observers have got the gist. Now wrap it up please
It's just a theme on here. We play well the forum dead, we lose or play poorly and we have page long threads of how x person is 100% right.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Woke society doesn’t let you criticise a player now apparently…

Powell has been a problem for several years, not just in reaction to Friday. The club needs to think about another long term interchange 9 option alongside O’Neill
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Well I am nominating him for the Meds player of the year award.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The beauty of the set up of a forum is that you don’t have to open a thread if you’re not interested in a topic. It was a good idea to have a thread just for Powell, as many of us have considered opinions on him as a player. If someone doesn’t want to read about Powell, then don’t open the topic. Or, indeed, start one of your own.
We have just lost a game in a dire fashion, largely through our misfiring attack. Many of us are keen to discuss Powell’s recall after a long break, and O’Neill being dropped from the 17 entirely, having been central to our biggest wins all year. It sadly bore out what may of us have been saying for years. It’s topical, and pertinent.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

There's nothing (woke " about my post. We lost the game becaus the better team on the night won obviously. We've had 17 pages on the topic of Powell many posters repeating the same mantra repeatedly. We get it. The Club I'm sure get it. It's gone beyond criticism it's more like a witch hunt Stop it. Please!