POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

This is a thread specifically about Powell, so I am not sure people should be that surprised if people post a lot about Powell on it. Having watched the GF, it struck me that the 2 finalists have 5 hookers between them with a running game… I honestly can’t think of any other side that has a statue at 9 in this day and age. We seem to be complete outliers.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I can’t think of a single hooker in the league with as limited range as Powell

That’s not to say all hookers are better but in terms of ability a range of things powell is the most limited

Even Houghton who is known as the king of tackling hookers can scoot

I also can’t think of a single player (props included) who is as slow as Powell off the mark and that’s a serious comment
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:18 am I can’t think of a single hooker in the league with as limited range as Powell

That’s not to say all hookers are better but in terms of ability a range of things powell is the most limited

I also can’t think of a single player (props included) who is as slow as Powell off the mark and that’s a serious comment
You missed the in your opinion from that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:48 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:18 am I can’t think of a single hooker in the league with as limited range as Powell

Apologies it is of course my opinion
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:13 pm

Is it an opinion or a fact?

I'm sorry but whenever you see Powell play he is blatantly the slowest hooker in super league. Probably one of the slowest forwards in super league. Not an opinion but a fact from watching him v other players over the years
Back by demand.
Wigan_forever1985

buttmonkey2 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:12 pm

I'm sorry but whenever you see Powell play he is blatantly the slowest hooker in super league. Probably one of the slowest forwards in super league. Not an opinion but a fact from watching him v other players over the years
I suppose without stats to back the claim up I can’t say it as fact - I was tempted to see if they published the speed stats anywhere as we know from the John wells piece they collect them to see where he ranked and whether it was just visual - to play devils advocate pat Richard’s looked a lot slower than he was

However it wouldn’t capture probably the most important area which is off the mark pace - top speed doesn’t count for a lot it’s more than initial acceleration- but Powell literally looks like he’s stuck in quicksand
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:36 pm

I suppose without stats to back the claim up I can’t say it as fact - I was tempted to see if they published the speed stats anywhere as we know from the John wells piece they collect them to see where he ranked and whether it was just visual - to play devils advocate pat Richard’s looked a lot slower than he was

However it wouldn’t capture probably the most important area which is off the mark pace - top speed doesn’t count for a lot it’s more than initial acceleration- but Powell literally looks like he’s stuck in quicksand
It just seems that some fans know more than the coach. Someone will say jobs for boys but I don't believe for a minute the club would stick by Powell if he wasn't adding something the wanted.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:59 pm

It just seems that some fans know more than the coach. Someone will say jobs for boys but I don't believe for a minute the club would stick by Powell if he wasn't adding something the wanted.
It’s not about knowing more than coaches Shaun wane exclusively picked Sam Powell but as soon as he could pick someone else he did and Sam Powell wasn’t even in the top 5 hookers he wanted for England so they don’t have to think he’s a superstar to pick him you can only pick from your squad

I think it’s clear what the coaches see in him - every interview about him says the same things that he’s brilliant for the culture and that he trains well he’s a model professional and a guy everyone likes and everyone respects but nothing I’ve said there relates to how well he plays on the pitch
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:18 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:59 pm

It’s not about knowing more than coaches Shaun wane exclusively picked Sam Powell but as soon as he could pick someone else he did and Sam Powell wasn’t even in the top 5 hookers he wanted for England so they don’t have to think he’s a superstar to pick him you can only pick from your squad

I think it’s clear what the coaches see in him - every interview about him says the same things that he’s brilliant for the culture and that he trains well he’s a model professional and a guy everyone likes and everyone respects but nothing I’ve said there relates to how well he plays on the pitch
The Wane not picking for England arguments isn't a good one. Teams play differently and players some may suit certain coaches and styles.

There are players who have look stand out that have looked bang average for England and there's some players that have looks amazing that have been rubbish.

This isn't defending Powell but look at Widdop he has been good for England but average (with the odd flash) for wire, Williams has had a very poor season but looked good in the international.
I've never thought that Hodgson has been brilliant for England but he played very well for Canbera.

The fact that we haven't shipped O'Neil out makes think plan to transition anyway, hopefully like Powell did for Micky Mac (Sadly)
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

The Wane argument is a good one for exactly the reason you say yes certain coaches play different styles but we are talking about the same coach so it’s the same guy with the same ideas of what makes a good team

I’d agree if it was a different coach but we are talking about someone who Wane knows better than any of the other hookers he picked ahead of him so he’s saying that he believes at least 5 other players represent a better option at 9 than Powell

Thing is with widdop and Williams examples you’re more talking form there - rather than ability. It’s like Austin bags of ability but he probably plays to it 3-4 games out of 10. If you think at his absolute best Powell still offers a limited amount of skill set.

If you said someone like Williams who can turn a game single handed at his best is a 10 you’d also say he can play for wire and be a 3 or even a 2 but you know he has a 10 in him

Powell will deliver you a 6 week on week out that’s it - that’s his max he has never won a match on his own or turned a match on his own he simply doesn’t have the ability or athleticism to do so

I’d be happy to see O’Neill phased in but I doubt he will be given a fair crack otherwise he would of played in that semi - there was no good reason for him to be left out he was in form and match fit