POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Another thread about Sam P

Post by Dreamteam »

:ugeek:
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:30 pm Sorry for boring so many of you, but I had to reply to this:
:twisted: Exiled Wiganer
Re: Matt Peet reveals whether Cade Cust is likely to play in the play-offs after the Wigan Warriors halfback picked up e
Post Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:00 pm

1. Powell will be picked. Peet has been superb this year, and even if he picks Powell and we lose, he is massively in credit as far as I am concerned.
2. We have played Saints 4 times, and lost both times Powell played, and won (in our best performances of the year) when O’Neill was hooker. I like O’Neill because, as he offers a running threat, it keeps the defence honest around the ruck. That frees up space further out, and in French and Field there are no better players in the league. That’s a reasonable opinion, and the evidence of the games against Saints supports this.
I just checked back through this season's fixtures and found the following:

Lost 31-22 to Hull.
Team included O'Neill, French and Field.

Lost 32-22 to Huddersfield.
O'Neill and French played

Lost 30-12 to Wakefield.
O'Neill French and Field.

Following your reasoning, I presume you believe we should drop these 3 players? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you’re gonna give a counter argument at least give context. We had 10 players out vs Huddersfield and rested 7. We had Logan Astley playing in the half’s. That was a solid result vs that Huddersfield team away, 2 weeks before the cc final. The hull game was the week before the CC final. Heads was obviously not on that game. In contrast the oneil performance vs saints the other week is the best 9 performance of the season.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The reason we won or lost isn’t down to whether Sam played or not, it is as a consequence of the team’s performance. I think that is what Morley is getting at and I agree with him.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He is not Wigan standard, deal with it :!:
Exiled Wiganer

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was somewhat surprised to see another thread on Powell - though in fact it was one solely to attack a point I made. My point was around our having lost to Saints with Powell and won against them with O’Neill, and won the Cup with him against the Giants. Which I thought were facts that were pertinent to choosing teams likely to play against Saints and Giants. I am not sure what Morley’s problem is tbh.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:58 pm I was somewhat surprised to see another thread on Powell - though in fact it was one solely to attack a point I made. My point was around our having lost to Saints with Powell and won against them with O’Neill, and won the Cup with him against the Giants. Which I thought were facts that were pertinent to choosing teams likely to play against Saints and Giants. I am not sure what Morley’s problem is tbh.
I imagine "his problem" is that he thinks you're cherry picking examples to suit your narrative and ignoring others. So he cherry picked some that show the opposite which you immediately dismissed by implying they're not as pertinent.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

1. “he” can make any point he likes. You made it clear we can only comment on Powell on this thread - and yet he goes off on one on a specific thread.
2. The point made makes no sense in any case. My examples are directly pertinent to the question in hand: if we are to play Huddersfield and Saints in big games, the 2 victories against Saints (in contrast to the 2 losses) and the CC victory are the best comparisons.
3. Cherry picking is choosing examples to prove your point. It doesn’t apply here as my point was to look at the big games.
4. Tbh I think it’s a deranged approach to ban us from posting about Powell anywhere but here, but give and critics open slather.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It has benefitted us having an attacking 9 in the big games .

O Neil’s average gain is also really good. Shows when he does decide to scoot he is making good yards.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 pm 1. “he” can make any point he likes. You made it clear we can only comment on Powell on this thread - and yet he goes off on one on a specific thread.
2. The point made makes no sense in any case. My examples are directly pertinent to the question in hand: if we are to play Huddersfield and Saints in big games, the 2 victories against Saints (in contrast to the 2 losses) and the CC victory are the best comparisons.
3. Cherry picking is choosing examples to prove your point. It doesn’t apply here as my point was to look at the big games.
4. Tbh I think it’s a deranged approach to ban us from posting about Powell anywhere but here, but give and critics open slather.
Just did it again.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:42 pm It has benefitted us having an attacking 9 in the big games .

O Neil’s average gain is also really good. Shows when he does decide to scoot he is making good yards.
This
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:43 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 pm 1. “he” can make any point he likes. You made it clear we can only comment on Powell on this thread - and yet he goes off on one on a specific thread.
Just did it again.
Should I spell it out for you?

We might play Saints in an important one off game: we have played Saints 4 times, including one important knock out game… (you know the rest): with me so far? That isn’t cherry picking, that is taking ALL the relevant data.

We might play Huddersfield in an important knock out game: we have already played one important one off game against Huddersfield… you know the rest. That isn’t cherry picking, that is taking ALL relevant data. As for the pre Tottenham game, that wasn’t a game we bothered to take seriously, and was not an important one off game.

How difficult can it be?

Feel free to cut and paste this, edit it, and start another thread about it.