POWELL!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: POWELL!!

Post by Barney841 »

I hope this topic carries on!
I find it hilarious how some are reacting on here.
PJC

Post by PJC »

As is said by many we are entitled to our opinions and that’s mine…..and you correctly have yours. I seem to be reading the same stories.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Mike wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 pm
archiekeith wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:59 am There's nothing (woke " about my post. We lost the game becaus the better team on the night won obviously. We've had 17 pages on the topic of Powell many posters repeating the same mantra repeatedly. We get it. The Club I'm sure get it. It's gone beyond criticism it's more like a witch hunt Stop it. Please!
WTF is woke?? These bloody words folk make up to mean exactly opposite to what the word actually mean.

Bloody jargon please say what you mean & not these words that only a few people know what they mean!!

Thank you
The original poster using the word 'woke' probably means they feel threatened that people exist that hold a view different to their own. They would like to be protected by never encountering a view point that is not their own.

IE they are offended that someone has the opinion that there has been enough Powell chat for now and believe they are being silenced because archie has said that.
What you say Mike I concur. I have never expressed my opinions re- the topic of discussion and I'm not about to now. What I'm concerned about isn't the criticisms made it's the repeating of the same mantra by the same people repeatably As I have said and others have said its getting monotonous. We get the message. We need a decent 9. We don't need telling repeatedly we might agree but the issue is up to the management not seemingly witch hunting fans
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

In some ways having Powell in the team means we need a decent ball playing 13 in the style of Cam Smith or SOL. This is obviously the role they have
Shorrocks in mind for, but we seem to favour 4 props on the bench so our attacking points of difference are limited.

Makes.it easy to focus defenders on Smith and Field, especially when Tommy and Sam make up the spine.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Big Steve wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:17 pm In some ways having Powell in the team means we need a decent ball playing 13 in the style of Cam Smith or SOL. This is obviously the role they have
Shorrocks in mind for, but we seem to favour 4 props on the bench so our attacking points of difference are limited.

Makes.it easy to focus defenders on Smith and Field, especially when Tommy and Sam make up the spine.
Not directly aimed at you Steve but I find it mad how people will go to lengths to suggests ways of getting around sam powells weaknesses rather than say he isn’t good enough

Or better still the fans who say that we all know he’s bad so let’s stop talking about it because we’ve already mentioned it

Ill say it again there isn’t a single player who gets more protection from fans than sam powell

Even the coaches - whenever they praise him notice how they always praise him about stuff that’s nothing to do with actually playing - it’s always off the field stuff
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:18 pm
Big Steve wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:17 pm In some ways having Powell in the team means we need a decent ball playing 13 in the style of Cam Smith or SOL. This is obviously the role they have

Not directly aimed at you Steve but I find it mad how people will go to lengths to suggests ways of getting around sam powells weaknesses rather than say he isn’t good enough

Or better still the fans who say that we all know he’s bad so let’s stop talking about it because we’ve already mentioned it

Ill say it again there isn’t a single player who gets more protection from fans than sam powell

Even the coaches - whenever they praise him notice how they always praise him about stuff that’s nothing to do with actually playing - it’s always off the field stuff
I wonder if .... Maybe the number of posts defending SP is related to the number of posts attacking his ability? No you're right. Its a conspiracy.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Not the point I was making Mike - but rather people will say anything like we don’t need a creative 9 if we have x or Sam offers defence and we can limit his attacking impotence by rotating him with z

When really if you are having to rely on other players to make up parts of a role you should be offering then it’s that player that needs to go
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I find the notion the posts criticising Powell are repetitive a bit strange.

Team sport is by it’s nature repetitive in that normally, each week, there is another game. There were 27 this season not including cup or playoff games.

If a player keeps putting in the same level of performance and some people don’t think it’s good enough, it’s going to keep getting mentioned. WTF would it not be?

It’s not as if in Powell’s case people don’t cite why pointing to his failings in games. Just watch him for goodness sake. Which to me means the those wanting to shut down such criticism are a bit odd. What’s the problem?

You know he’s crap an are sick of hearing it? Or you actually believe he’s any good?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm I find the notion the posts criticising Powell are repetitive a bit strange.

Team sport is by it’s nature repetitive in that normally, each week, there is another game. There were 27 this season not including cup or playoff games.

If a player keeps putting in the same level of performance and some people don’t think it’s good enough, it’s going to keep getting mentioned. WTF would it not be?

It’s not as if in Powell’s case people don’t cite why pointing to his failings in games. Just watch him for goodness sake. Which to me means the those wanting to shut down such criticism are a bit odd. What’s the problem?

You know he’s crap an are sick of hearing it? Or you actually believe he’s any good?
Yeah but daveo he’s a nice lad. 😆
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

If anyone was ever in any doubt about the lack of ability Powell has then they only need to watch the semi final game, when he steps out from dummy half, he is so slow he can't create any overlap or attract defenders.
His passes are often above the head or behind the player meaning the player has to check their run giving the defending team time to move up or adjust their run, when he did find himself on a run with ball in hand he looked like he was dragging two atlas stones behing him, on one occasion he looked clueless on what to do and was looking around for someone to pass to or to give him a clue on what he was supposed to do next.
I havent watched the game back but I think it was Powell who moved out of position when they scooted over the line, he looked like he moved into the ruck area when the tackle had been completed instead of holding his position in the line.
He should do the decent thing and acknowledge to the coching staff that he doesn't have it in him to be a starting 9 and provide cover when required, I blame Peet for making the change in the team and he should hold his hands up that he got it massively wrong.
Put Cust in and Powell out of the team on Friday and we would have seen a completly different team and I suspect a different result.