Official Awards Lunch - Warriors 2022 Season Awards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Official Awards Lunch

Post by NICKYKISS »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:42 pm May I say that I have not more enjoyed watching a player than Jai Field since the young Sam T. He is smooth as silk, and makes the impossible possible. He is the reason we watch sport - to be in awe of people’s athletic miracles!
It’s also worth highlighting that he came into this season under huge pressure, and has far exceeded any of our expectations. Personally, just from his interviews, he seems charming and modest. A fine young man. Let’s hope he makes Wigan his home!
What I’ve loved most about Field since the return of French is that he’s shown he’s a fabulous team man and is more than willing to feed others and not try and do it by himself. I don’t think he’s had enough credit in the media for his performances recently. Some of his touches have been sublime. The night French got 7 meant he rightly got the plaudits but my word, Field was absolutely sensational.

What also gets lost a bit is the steel he shows. He’s brave, he takes some stick, some knocks but he keeps coming back and puts his body on the line. He got some real treatment away at Leeds and just stuck at it. I compare that to Welsby being given a roughing up at our place and he melted.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

All well deserved awards especially Harry smith I think a few were ready to write him off but most of us knew he had real talent and he’s proved it this year - seems to have added a yard of pace too

I think he will get better year on year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Radlinski inducted into Hall of Fame

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that legend Kris Radlinski has been inducted into the Club’s Hall of Fame.

Radlinski was inducted at the Club’s 150th Year Celebration Dinner at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon by Chairman Ian Lenagan.

From player to director, Radlinski has been at his hometown Club since 1993 and has gone on to become a Wigan great.

After signing for Wigan’s Academy from Wigan St Judes ARLFC, Radlinski progressed through Wigan’s Academy and went on to make his first team debut as a substitute on 31st October 1993 against Castleford, earning the Heritage Number 885.

Between 1993 and 2006, Radlinski made 322 appearances for Wigan, scoring 183 tries and winning 10 trophies.

His medal collection includes three Championships, three Premiership Trophies, one Challenge Cup, one Super League Grand Final, one John Player Trophy and one Charity Shield.

Radlinski was a member of the Super League Dream Team on five consecutive occasions (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002) and was also the 1995 Harry Sunderland Trophy winner.

In 1998, he featured in the first ever Super League Grand Final as Wigan overcame Leeds Rhinos at Old Trafford and a year later played in the final ever match to be played at Central Park as Wigan went out victorious against local rivals St Helens.

One game Radlinski will always be remembered for is his outstanding performance in the 2002 Challenge Cup Final when Wigan beat St Helens at Edinburgh’s Murrayfield Stadium. Radlinski played a starring role at full back and was instrumental in defence to inspire Wigan to victory, as he became the first Wigan player ever to win the Lance Todd Trophy away from Wembley.

Internationally, he represented Great Britain 20 times and England 10 times, and then in 2007 he was awarded an MBE by Her Majesty the Queen for his services to Rugby League.

Staying at the Club, Radlinski was appointed to the role of Rugby General Manager in 2010, operating alongside then Head Coach Michael Maguire, and his coaching team, providing an important link between the performance department and other sections of the Club.

Radlinski is now the Club’s Executive Director and works closely with Chairman Ian Lenagan driving all areas of Club business, implementing strategic vision throughout all departments of the Club.

An instrumental figure in the day-to-day running of the Club, he ensures that high standards of player coaching, performance and discipline are implemented consistently. He also played a crucial part in helping the Club navigate its way throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.

He is now part of the Club’s illustrious Hall of Fame and joins Andy Farrell OBE, Shaun Edwards OBE, Dean Bell, Ellery Hanley MBE, Andy Gregory, Eric Ashton MBE, Billy Boston MBE, Brian McTigue, Ken Gee, Joe Egan, Jim Sullivan, Frano Botica, Colin Clarke, Martin Offiah MBE and Sean O’Loughlin OBE on the decorated list.

Chairman, Ian Lenagan, said: “He deserves it immensely. If you look back at Kris’ career at Wigan… 13 years as a player – only ever for Wigan. Aged 19 – winning the Man of the Match trophy in the Premiership Final and getting a hat-trick in the same game. Those who were at the Challenge Cup Final in 2002 will remember rather a special week for Kris… in hospital for part of the week and then eventually getting the Man of the Match. An MBE for Kris at the end of his career was a more than adequate award for what he did. I don’t think there is anybody who has contributed as a player and then contributed as well in another 12 years off the field. He started on 1st December 2009 as Rugby General Manager when Michael Maguire’s announcement was made – the start of a new era at Wigan at that time.

“Through the next 10 years, he and I have worked together all of the time on the forward plan, on recruiting, on appointing coaches. That forward planning is key to Wigan and Kris has been central to all of that. This is a part of Kris Radlinski – separate from his playing career – that people are not aware of.

“His leadership during lockdown and more particularly and recently the new badge – he was a major leader in putting that together. It’s a completely different aspect to what we saw of him as a player. The appointment of a new coach in Matt [Peet] and having the courage to appoint somebody new in that position. Robin Park – playing a major part in bringing it to what it is today – which I think will be the greatest success of Wigan in the next 10 or 20 years. He has a touch of togetherness with fans too. He is a superb person to work with – he embodies everything that is Wigan.”

On being inducted into the Hall of Fame, Radlinski said: “It’s caught me by surprise. I’ve been very lucky that this is the only job I’ve ever had. It’s the only place I’ve ever worked. The place means a lot to me. There’s a lot of great memories, but my greatest memory of all actually happened this year. When the team won the Cup, I was able to celebrate it with people I’ve never been able to do it with before. I was in the boardroom with my family at the side of me. That was the greatest moment I’ve had in my career.

“The Club means a lot to me. I’ve give it everything. I was never the most talented player, but I was the hardest worker. It’s the greatest gift I can give to my kids – work hard and anything is possible.

“This award means the world to me. My mum and my sister are here today and it’s for them.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... l-of-fame/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Official Awards Lunch - Warriors 2022 Season Awards

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors 2022 Season Awards

Jai Field named Players’ Player and Player of the Year.
Bevan French scoops the Top Try Scorer award.
Harry Smith wins Young Player of the Year.
Wigan Warriors held their 150th Year Celebration Dinner at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon where players met up with their sponsors and other guests as the 2022 awards were handed out.

Player of the Year – Jai Field

As voted for by the Warriors fans and various stakeholders, full-back Jai Field was crowned Player of the Year for 2022.

After an injury-hit season in 2021, the 24-year old has bounced back to hit top form for the Warriors in 2022. Field has scored 20 Super League tries and registered 24 assists so far this season and was a firm favourite, taking the majority of the vote.

Speaking after winning the award, he said: “I’ve really enjoyed my year this year and I put it down to everything the Coaches have done, their belief not just in me but the whole side to just play what is in front of us and play that free-flowing style helps my game.

“It’s not work, it’s very enjoyable. A lot of hard work goes into it but it’s definitely enjoyable and fun.”

Players’ Player of the Year – Jai Field

Admired by the fans, Field’s contributions are also admired by his team mates as he also secured the Player’s Player of the Year award for 2022.

In a season that saw him named in the Super League Dream Team for the first time, he said: “I’ve really enjoyed it this year and I’ve decided to stick around for two more years so I think that shows how much I enjoy it here.

“It’s an honour, especially with your peers voting for you it makes it that bit more special definitely.”

Young Player of the Year – Harry Smith

Young Player of the Year was awarded to Harry Smith, in what has been an outstanding year for the scrum half.

The 22-year old has crossed for 6 Super League tries this year, also getting 20 try assists but it is his kicking form which has caught the eye of many, having converted 90 goals and 2 drop goals in the Super League this year.

Lee Briers handing over the award said: “I’d like to say it was all down to me but it’s not. Harry over the last couple of years – last year was a tough time, this year he’s been unbelievable. I firmly believe that the last two years have given Harry a foundation, he plays in the most pressured position following the likes of Andy Gregory, Shaun Edwards, Tommy Leuluai – Harry has built a foundation and if he keeps going the way he is going he will be talked about in the same light as those players.”

Smith said: “It’s been a good year for me and the team. The confidence and enjoyment we have together as a team resonates on the field and hopefully, we can take that into the next couple of weeks of the season.”

Top Try Scorer – Bevan French

The final award was for Bevan French, who took home the accolade of Top Try Scorer with 31 tries in 2022.

Speaking on his award, French said: “When I got over here and saw the history of some of the wingers that Wigan have had, there’s been some great success over the years and it’s definitely inspired me to try and reach the levels that they have.”

Hall of Fame

Sean O’Loughlin OBE was inducted to the Hall of Fame following his retirement from the game, and after not receiving his award due to Covid, O’Loughlin was officially inducted at Sunday’s event.

Kris Radlinski MBE was the latest addition to the Hall of Fame after being inducted by Chairman Ian Lenegan at the 150th Celebration dinner. From player to director, Radlinski has been at his hometown Club since 1993 and has gone on to become a Wigan great. You can read more on Radlinski’s induction HERE.

On being inducted into the Hall of Fame, Radlinski said: “It’s caught me by surprise. I’ve been very lucky that this is the only job I’ve ever had. It’s the only place I’ve ever worked. The place means a lot to me. There’s a lot of great memories, but my greatest memory of all actually happened this year. When the team won the Cup, I was able to celebrate it with people I’ve never been able to do it with before. I was in the boardroom with my family at the side of me. That was the greatest moment I’ve had in my career.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... on-awards/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan