Bevan French says he's not focusing on anything outside of rugby league as he discusses his future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bevan French says he's not focusing on anything outside of rugby league as he discusses his future

Post by josie andrews »

Bevan French says he is fully focussed on playing his best rugby heading into the play-offs.

Speculation currently surrounds the winger, with his current deal with Wigan Warriors expiring at the end of the season and a number of NRL clubs reportedly interested in his signature.

French states he has taken a back seat on discussions about his future in order to concentrate on maintaining his best form on the field.

He said: “There’s been very honest conversations between me, Matty (Peet) and the people at Wigan.

"I’ve started to hit a good bit of form, which comes down to me being really relaxed and not really focussing on anything outside of rugby league.

With two games left to play, you just want to focus on them.

“That’s not really saying that I’m not going to make a decision until after the Grand Final, you know, I could get a call tomorrow and some things might change.

“I’m really just taking a back seat and letting my manager take control of things.“It’s just about being clear minded and focusing on each game so I can play my best footy.”

French’s impressive form this season has seen him named in the Super League Dream Team, alongside Wigan teammates Jai Field and Liam Farrell.

“Looking around the room at the players who are in this, it’s definitely something to be proud of,” he added.

“There’s a lot of experience here, and people who have done a lot in their careers. It’s amazing to be among these calibre of players, it’s special.

“You don’t really start the season striving for these types of things.

“It’s been a rollercoaster year. I didn’t start playing until round eight or nine, so it was a pretty slow start. Even when I got back it took me a bit of time to find my feet.

“It’s crazy how quick things have changed, going from where I was to being in the Dream Team.

“It all comes down to the great squad I’m a part of, and the coaching staff. I’m very fortunate to go to work every day with such a good bunch of blokes, it makes everyone want to work hard for each other.

“I really have enjoyed this year since I’ve come back, and hopefully it ends even higher.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-3831362
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan Watcher

Re: Bevan French says he's not focusing on anything outside of rugby league as he discusses his future

Post by Wigan Watcher »

To me that sounds positive and he would like to stay with us. I believe the phone call he mentioned may be regarding his family and being allowed to stay in England for a period of time.

Exiled Wiganer

Re: Bevan French says he's not focusing on anything outside of rugby league as he discusses his future

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I know I’m looking at this with cherry and white specs on, but I think he might have found his natural home in SL at Wigan. Here, he can be a superstar and loved. In the NRL, he will again be a smaller fish in a much bigger pool. As I recall, he was getting game time, but not adulation over there, whereas here he has a team, a town and a coach whose style suits him. If it’s making sure his family is happy, and we can fix that, then I think that has a lot going for it from his perspective.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just what I'm hoping for, along with half of Wigan!