Play offs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Play offs

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Play on. I never met her, but I am guessing that it’s what she would have wanted.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Huddersfield Giants and Salford Red Devils' playoff game given green light

The game was in danger of being postponed following yesterday’s passing of Her Majesty The Queen

Huddersfield Giants’ Super League play-off eliminator at home to Salford Red Devils will ahead as scheduled on Saturday.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport held a call with all major sports at 9.30am this morning to determine the plan of action for the rest of this weekend's calendar following yesterday’s passing of Her Majesty The Queen.

Official guidance recommends sports bodies consider cancelling events on day of state funeral but say there is no obligation for other days. That will see the Huddersfield-Salford clash played as scheduled, along with this weekend’s final round of Championship matches, with a minute’s silence before games and players wearing black armbands as a mark of respect to The Queen.

The government guidelines state: “There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period.

“This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations.

If sporting fixtures or events are planned for the day of the State Funeral, organisations may want to adjust the event timings so they do not clash with the timings of the funeral service and associated processions. As a mark of respect, and in keeping with the tone of National Mourning, organisers may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem at the start of events or sporting fixtures, and players may wish to wear black armbands.”

If the Giants’ clash with Salford had have been cancelled tomorrow then it would have represented a logistical nightmare, with the two play-off semi-finals scheduled for next weekend. Official confirmation is set to be announced soon.

The Super League Grand Final is due to take place at Old Trafford on Saturday, September 24.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-24974941
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

A sensible outcome for all concerned.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

adam0026 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:50 pm In my opinion I feel the queen could be best celebrated at each event with a minutes silence or applause instead of cancelling events people have been looking forward to etc.
I understand that could come across selfish mind and my apologies if that would offend anyone
Absolutely spot on. Cancelling events changes nothing. Pay her the respect she deserves at the games and let’s crack on.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Heaven help us if we have to play Leeds in the semi-final with Child as referee after seeing the shambles at Perpignan last night.
Leeds reverted to type and Catalans fell for it, aided and abetted by the most incompetent display of refereeing I've ever seen. Both sides thought he was useless and no one had any respect for his decisions. By the end, Child was simply running away from the action and letting players take whatever illegal action they felt like and then sending players to the sin-bin or off the field. Our sport will never get better until referees like Child are at least downgraded or moved out of the game.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:09 am Heaven help us if we have to play Leeds in the semi-final with Child as referee after seeing the shambles at Perpignan last night.
Leeds reverted to type and Catalans fell for it, aided and abetted by the most incompetent display of refereeing I've ever seen. Both sides thought he was useless and no one had any respect for his decisions. By the end, Child was simply running away from the action and letting players take whatever illegal action they felt like and then sending players to the sin-bin or off the field. Our sport will never get better until referees like Child are at least downgraded or moved out of the game.
i was watching it with a salford fan who said the same…… he also stated how poor child is and how leeds get a lot of 50/50 calls
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
doc

Post by doc »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:09 am Heaven help us if we have to play Leeds in the semi-final with Child as referee after seeing the shambles at Perpignan last night.
Bentley should have seen red for that swing at Micky Mac but instead Cats lost a player to the sin bin.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

With Salford taking the Giants to the cleaners, they will go to Saints while we host Leeds. I would rather play Leeds than Salford. I wonder whether the disciplinary will be taking a look at last night’s game. If so, our task may be easier.

I would love to play Salford at OT. I love the way they play.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Croft out next week so u can confirm saints in the final. Up to us do to do our job now
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Not seen anything from King that shows us he’s any better than who we’ve been playing at Centre this season. Hopefully we can get him firing because I’ve not been impressed with that I’ve seen of him so far this season