Wigan Warriors full-back Jai Field beats Super League rivals to top award

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors full-back Jai Field beats Super League rivals to top award

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors full-back Jai Field has been chosen as player of the year by the Rugby League Writers and Broadcasters Association.

Field, who is on the three-man shortlist for Betfred Super League's Steve Prescott Man of Steel award, polled 61 per cent of the votes of association members to win the Raymond Fletcher Trophy.

Runner-up with 22 per cent of the votes was Salford Red Devils stand-off Brodie Croft, who is also in the running to be crowned Man of Steel, while other votes were cast for Wigan's Bevan French and Huddersfield Giants’ Tui Lolohea.

Field missed most of the 2021 season through injury but made up for lost time this year, scoring 20 tries and providing 24 assists to help the Warriors to second place in Super League. He also registered the highest recorded speed of any player in Super League, clocking 36.1 km an hour against Hull KR.

Field was also instrumental in Wigan's Challenge Cup triumph at Tottenham in May.

RLWBA chairman Trevor Hunt said: "It is always difficult for our members to single out players for this award, especially with so many genuine top-quality athletes as contenders.

"But Jai's amazing battle back to fitness only adds to an incredible story of courage, resilience and fortitude that has seen him take Super League by storm with an incredible display not only of speed but superb skills to give him an edge over his challengers.

"He is a thoroughly deserving recipient of the RLWBA player of the year award."

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... rd-3839704
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors full-back Jai Field beats Super League rivals to top award

Post by Firestarter »

Well done jai fully deserved…… man of steel next
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:37 pm Well done jai fully deserved…… man of steel next
i can hear the tears across the hill already :) :) - dont forget there are no players in the Wigan team would get anywhere nears the Saints 1st team :) :)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

the pieman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:55 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:37 pm Well done jai fully deserved…… man of steel next
i can hear the tears across the hill already :) :) - dont forget there are no players in the Wigan team would get anywhere nears the Saints 1st team :) :)
Always good to rub it in with Saints fans. It will be even more satisfying if we win our next 2 games.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
mikey

Post by mikey »

Isn’t this the award given to Trent Barret he should have been a shoe in for man of steel that year only to be beaten to the Man of Steel by a reserve hooker hope everyone makes the correct decision this time.Congratulations Jai.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He has given us as much excitement this year as any player I can recall since early Sam T. And he seems happy here. He’s the reason we watch sport.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:12 pm He has given us as much excitement this year as any player I can recall since early Sam T. And he seems happy here. He’s the reason we watch sport.
Exactly! 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan