Jai Field shares his gratitude to Wigan Warriors for sticking by him ahead of a transformative 12 months

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Jai Field shares his gratitude to Wigan Warriors for sticking by him ahead of a transformative 12 months

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

This is the soft underbelly of Wigan showing with French again though IMO. We seem to be very much in the passenger seat when it comes to player movement in or out - we are always waiting for players to decide etc - if it were me it be simple you show you wanna player here or we find someone who will.

French is a great player but i think you have to have a culture that says the club is the bigger party in all negotiations because other teams will be out recruiting now we shouldnt be waiting till the year is up for himto decide we should of give him a cut off date
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Big Steve

Re: Jai Field shares his gratitude to Wigan Warriors for sticking by him ahead of a transformative 12 months

Post by Big Steve »

Thats one way of looking at it

The other is that had Wigan not been patient and given themselves time to work on a deal that made Bevan happy to sign, he would already be a Newcastle player for next season.

For one of the exceptional 'bums off seats' players in SL I think that's a price well worth paying.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

They aren't mutually exclusive concepts though are they, theycould work on the correct deal and get it done in decent time to seek alternatives.

The situation to me sounds like Bevan is trying to get a decent gig in the NRL and if he cant we are the fall back option which some people might be ok with but i think it sets precedent.

Im not saying you give him 1 take it or leave it offer -by all means work on the deal but get it done earlier - this has been kicking the can down the road for months, once you get to a deal that youre willing to offer for me its "we will give you till x date to sign this after that we will seek a replacement"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:02 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:55 pm Well, yeah, to get another year out of Bevan, and keep Jai long-term, that would be fabulous, wouldn't it? Maybe too much to ask? :)

I actually started a thread on an Aussie forum I follow the other day about the remarkable strength in depth of full-backs in the NRL right now. As well as Tedesco and Ponga and Paps, there's all these great kids coming trough, Campbell, Savage, etc. Any incomers would have to be pretty special.
I hope Jai becomes another Pat Richards in longevity & if Bevan is only her for a couple of years I will die happy 😊
(but would hope he stays longer)
x2
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐