Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by Dreamteam »

Why did peet leave French on for 25 mins with one leg. He only took him off when Leeds scored. Was we hoping he’d magically recover at ht. it nullified our right side completely. Bloke couldn’t even keep up with play ffs
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:38 am Why did peet leave French on for 25 mins with one leg. He only took him off when Leeds scored. Was we hoping he’d magically recover at ht. it nullified our right side completely. Bloke couldn’t even keep up with play ffs
Because he had a pain killing injection and they wanted to see if Bevan could continue. Let’s be honest when they replaced him we didn’t improve.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:25 pm Started ok. Very intense defence from both sides.
Harry’s picked the wrong night to have a bad kicking at goal game
Too much pressure on him poor lad, he’s gutted.
Too much pressure on him? From who?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:25 pm Started ok. Very intense defence from both sides.
I agree Josie. You could see that everything was expected to go throw him as nothing else was coming from Tommy or Powell. Even the commentary team said it was on all him.

Even though he had a bad night with the tee he certainly wasn’t the reason we lost.

He’s been immense this season; he dragged us into and won us a CC final and was robbed of the Lance Todd.

Definitely our 7 to build around but if we want to kick on from this season we need to be ruthless at 9, get some centres in and we could well have a French sized hole to fill.

It’s going to be an interesting off season.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:34 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:19 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Notice how a hooker who wins man of the match is on the winning team it’s almost like number 9 is a important position isn’t it
Exactly!

Anyway, not sure why but we seemed off par from the start - the week off maybe?

We still have the odd bad game in us that Peet will hopefully iron out, although team selection was a bit puzzling. I'd have been OK with Powell in if O'Neil was on the bench, especially with Cust out.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
It’s not hindsight, it’s foresight. Many of us had the foresight to see that dropping O’Neill meant that our attack would suffer badly. No running threat and slow passing made Leeds’ life simple - they can ignore the ruck and come up fast on the outside players. We have been saying it for years and that’s what happened. That’s why we failed to take advantage of the positions we created. Dropping O’Neill, when we were already without Cust, cost us massively last night. I am hoping and praying that Peet is sharp enough to have realised.

The forwards made a lot of ground, and set up excellent field position. Marshall and Field (and French) were dangerous when given space. We lost that game through Tommy and Powell. We had to play Tommy, and picking Powell meant he was going to be under a lot of pressure when he got the ball, but he was nevertheless terrible. Both of those had had long lay offs and it showed.

It’s hugely frustrating, because it didn’t have to be like that.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:29 am

Exactly!

We still have the odd bad game in us that Peet will hopefully iron out, although team selection was a bit puzzling. I'd have been OK with Powell in if O'Neil was on the bench, especially with Cust out.
It’s not hindsight, it’s foresight. Many of us had the foresight to see that dropping O’Neill meant that our attack would suffer badly. No running threat and slow passing made Leeds’ life simple - they can ignore the ruck and come up fast on the outside players. We have been saying it for years and that’s what happened. That’s why we failed to take advantage of the positions we created. Dropping O’Neill, when we were already without Cust, cost us massively last night. I am hoping and praying that Peet is sharp enough to have realised.

The forwards made a lot of ground, and set up excellent field position. Marshall and Field (and French) were dangerous when given space. We lost that game through Tommy and Powell. We had to play Tommy, and picking Powell meant he was going to be under a lot of pressure when he got the ball, but he was nevertheless terrible. Both of those had had long lay offs and it showed.

It’s hugely frustrating, because it didn’t have to be like that.
Spot on.

That’s why there wasn’t any space for the forwards.
1 - we didn’t create any
2 - Leeds could spread out and didn’t need to bunch around the POTB
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Peets been good in his first season but he definitely got the selection wrong last night. Sadly no matter what people think on here Powell will continue to be the starting 9 until he retires and we will suffer as a team because of it. He’s not the only reason we lost last night though, it’s a team effort and we wasn’t good enough.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Notice how a hooker who wins man of the match is on the winning team it’s almost like number 9 is a important position isn’t it
Exactly!

and is at least 50% of the posts on this forum, whats your point?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:34 am
I agree,it shows how much easier it is for him when he’s alongside Cust,but from where he came from under Lam this season for me he’s my player of the season,one bad game is just that I hope he pushes on next year to even greater heights.
I don't think Smith had a bad game, he put in a great pass for Marshy's try and kicked well out of hand. Yes, an off day with placekicking.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Might be a good thing losing last night….. it might make peet think twice about players he wasnt 100% about….. centres, backup half defo needed….. miski is a pointless quota spot as he never plays…… isa has been good but i think its now timr to move on…… my biggest worry is replacing briers with tommy…… tommy isnt a creative half so i dont get what he will add on the sidelines…… massive call but maybe release him and lockers and bring in another assistant coach with new ideas
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE