Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by pearsy »

In a season where Peet got a lot right the player selection last night it proves he's still got some way to go.Tommy and Smith hasn't worked in the past and it didn't last.What was the brain fart from our marquise player.Still need 3 to 4 new players to be good team
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It was frustrating to watch us be so dominant in that first half and be unable to break Leeds down. They obviously deserve huge credit for their defence and it's defence that wins you these games.

We can look to the players we had missing and for sure Farrell was a huge loss, Cust at his best would have been a threat, particularly with his ability to switch to hooker and change the tempo. French getting injured was also a big blow. Still, we had the field position but couldn't take advantage.

Dropping O'Neill seemed questionable at best. I'm not going to criticise Powell because I thought he played reasonably well overall considering he's been out for a while but it took him a long time to get up to speed and during that period when we were dominant we were crying out for a bit more threat from 9. Why drop a player performing well for someone who is bound to have some fitness concerns and require some time to get back up to speed? Not even having O'Neill on the bench but barely using Ellis is a little hard to fathom.

Isa, for all his effort last night, isn't a patch on Farrell and robbed us of some ability to create space out wide for Field. That's not a criticism of Isa and to be honest he should have been in the team at centre because even when we were a man down, with a winger on 1 leg, and then having to move to the wing himself, Bibby somehow only made 7 carries, and one of those was an attacking carry where he fluffed opportunity to pass to Marshall. It's a semi final and he played like he didn't want to be noticed.

Our front row was hit and miss. Mago did make some decent ground but he lacks the mobility to defend well enough for games like this. Singleton tried hard, as did Byrne, though Byrne like many young forwards has faded towards the end of this season so wasn't quite as effective. For me our two best players last night were Cooper and Havard. They were dominant with their carries, strong in defence and were pretty much the reason we enjoyed such good field position. It's a shame we couldn't make anything of it.

All in all it's been a good season, but I hope we don't go into next year thinking we'll be fine with what we've got. We aren't at the right level yet and need to find more improvement. Just signing Toby King isn't going to take us to the level that we need to be.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:04 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:34 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am

Too much pressure on him poor lad, he’s gutted.
I agree,it shows how much easier it is for him when he’s alongside Cust,but from where he came from under Lam this season for me he’s my player of the season,one bad game is just that I hope he pushes on next year to even greater heights.
I don't think Smith had a bad game, he put in a great pass for Marshy's try and kicked well out of hand. Yes, an off day with placekicking.
By his high standards this season for me had an off day,but that mainly because I feel he’s barely put a foot wrong since he came back into the side,that said who didn’t gave an off day last night?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

The true test for Peet as a coach will be how he improves the team next season and recruitment. If we are to lose Bevan his job gets much more difficult because he has been lucky enough to have inherited Field and French at full fitness. But assuming Bevan does one more season. Then full back and wings pick themselves. I suppose since we have brought king in he will be first choice so Halsall has to be the other we would be mad to let him go to Wakefield.

Half backs has to be Smith, cust I would consider moving him to hooker along with Oneill. So would look to recruit a creative 6

Props don’t think we look for any having brought in the 2 Aussies and Cooper last year. I think we have some good young academy props coming through as well

Hooker, Powell has to be replaced if we want a plan b. Cust and Oneill would be my choice,

Back rowers. Bateman not the player he was. Farrell not getting any younger. KPP off to Newcastle 2024?. So only leaves Smithies. We need to recruit a back rower. Especially as we have just let McDonnell and Nicholson slip through our fingers. Poor management there on KR part

Not a massive recruitment required but 2 quality signings and we will be up there next season. Over to you Matty and Co.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Graham1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 am We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

The true test for Peet as a coach will be how he improves the team next season and recruitment. If we are to lose Bevan his job gets much more difficult because he has been lucky enough to have inherited Field and French at full fitness. But assuming Bevan does one more season. Then full back and wings pick themselves. I suppose since we have brought king in he will be first choice so Halsall has to be the other we would be mad to let him go to Wakefield.

Half backs has to be Smith, cust I would consider moving him to hooker along with Oneill. So would look to recruit a creative 6

Props don’t think we look for any having brought in the 2 Aussies and Cooper last year. I think we have some good young academy props coming through as well

Hooker, Powell has to be replaced if we want a plan b. Cust and Oneill would be my choice,

Back rowers. Bateman not the player he was. Farrell not getting any younger. KPP off to Newcastle 2024?. So only leaves Smithies. We need to recruit a back rower. Especially as we have just let McDonnell and Nicholson slip through our fingers. Poor management there on KR part

Not a massive recruitment required but 2 quality signings and we will be up there next season. Over to you Matty and Co.
Interesting post, Faz and Batman should be around for a couple more years so the timing for those two was wrong, I'm also guessing we are retaining KPP and Nsemba is developing well. For me, Smithies is just too slow for a top notch back rower. I also think we need a couple of yard makers at prop, hopefully Byrne can develop further so we would just need to sign one. Again we have a number of props developing in the reserves.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Graham1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 am We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

Can't really argue with that, but I would like to see us replace Partington and Singleton a couple of better props, they don't have to be superstars, they just have to be better than those two
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, we all had a chance to experience time travel last night and what we watched was Adrian Lam's side from last season.
Endless battering down the middle near the line - painfully slow passing out to the wings, if it got out there - Harry having to play in a position that doesn't suit him - it went on and on.

Really bad points. Tommy's attack - Powell's passing - Mago's traditional lazy penalty and zero contribution - Ellis' non-introduction until the 50th minute and then his lack of involvement. And of course - Bateman.

Really good points. Smithies' discipline in the face of endless provocation - KPP's whole game, especially in defence - Marshall's overall MOM play for us - Cooper's overall contribution -Tommy's defence - Havard's running and penetration.

As long as the coaching staff realise that this was a blueprint of how not to play, we can learn from this. Get two new overseas props to replace the two we currently have. Think hard about whether Toby King really is the answer to the centre problem. Get Cust's injuries sorted out once and for all in the break. Get O'Neill in the team or buy another hooker if the management don't believe in him. Say good bye with regrets and thanks to some players - Isa, Partington, for example.

If we don't learn, then it will be painful but there is the basis to be more successful next season and win the lot!
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:54 am

Can't really argue with that, but I would like to see us replace Partington and Singleton a couple of better props, they don't have to be superstars, they just have to be better than those two
Partington is off anyway. I’m one that thinks we don’t need a prop actually. Byrne has improved massively havard our best prop for me good again last night with more potential, cooper although in the end didn’t matter is a good signing, Ellis needs to get back to the form he had at the start of the season because he’s a big unit, mago needs to lose a few kg - mixed bag he’s had good games but more average games than good
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:09 am

Partington is off anyway. I’m one that thinks we don’t need a prop actually. Byrne has improved massively havard our best prop for me good again last night with more potential, cooper although in the end didn’t matter is a good signing, Ellis needs to get back to the form he had at the start of the season because he’s a big unit, mago needs to lose a few kg - mixed bag he’s had good games but more average games than good
Where is Partington going to?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 am
Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:09 am
Where is Partington going to?
Salford