Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by Barney841 »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:09 am
medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:54 am
Graham1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 am We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

The true test for Peet as a coach will be how he improves the team next season and recruitment. If we are to lose Bevan his job gets much more difficult because he has been lucky enough to have inherited Field and French at full fitness. But assuming Bevan does one more season. Then full back and wings pick themselves. I suppose since we have brought king in he will be first choice so Halsall has to be the other we would be mad to let him go to Wakefield.

Half backs has to be Smith, cust I would consider moving him to hooker along with Oneill. So would look to recruit a creative 6

Props don’t think we look for any having brought in the 2 Aussies and Cooper last year. I think we have some good young academy props coming through as well

Hooker, Powell has to be replaced if we want a plan b. Cust and Oneill would be my choice,

Back rowers. Bateman not the player he was. Farrell not getting any younger. KPP off to Newcastle 2024?. So only leaves Smithies. We need to recruit a back rower. Especially as we have just let McDonnell and Nicholson slip through our fingers. Poor management there on KR part

Not a massive recruitment required but 2 quality signings and we will be up there next season. Over to you Matty and Co.
Can't really argue with that, but I would like to see us replace Partington and Singleton a couple of better props, they don't have to be superstars, they just have to be better than those two
Partington is off anyway. I’m one that thinks we don’t need a prop actually. Byrne has improved massively havard our best prop for me good again last night with more potential, cooper although in the end didn’t matter is a good signing, Ellis needs to get back to the form he had at the start of the season because he’s a big unit, mago needs to lose a few kg - mixed bag he’s had good games but more average games than good
I wouldn’t be bothered if Mago left.
He doesn’t offer enough for me and he takes up a quota spot
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:39 am
medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:54 am
Can't really argue with that, but I would like to see us replace Partington and Singleton a couple of better props, they don't have to be superstars, they just have to be better than those two
Partington is off anyway. I’m one that thinks we don’t need a prop actually. Byrne has improved massively havard our best prop for me good again last night with more potential, cooper although in the end didn’t matter is a good signing, Ellis needs to get back to the form he had at the start of the season because he’s a big unit, mago needs to lose a few kg - mixed bag he’s had good games but more average games than good
If he’s coming back to pre season in the same shape I’d agree. He can be a massive weapon if he’s fitter. Unique prop, there’s not many around in sl anymore
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:41 am

If he’s coming back to pre season in the same shape I’d agree. He can be a massive weapon if he’s fitter. Unique prop, there’s not many around in sl anymore
Yeah I’ll go with that dreamteam.
He is a bettering ram and has an offload, he just seems to be blowing after 5 mins which isn’t good enough
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:31 am I am not sure why certain players should be selected for criticism, collectively we were not good enough. Plenty of possession, good field position but no end product. You win as a team and lose as a team, and that includes the coaching staff. Everyone needs to learn from tonight’s experience if we are to progress.
Spot on!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:32 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:25 pm Started ok. Very intense defence from both sides.
Harry’s picked the wrong night to have a bad kicking at goal game
Too much pressure on him poor lad, he’s gutted.
Smith isn’t the reason why we lost that game.
No, I know he wasn’t, it’s a team game when you win & a team game when you lose, but you could see he was gutted ☹️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:50 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:25 pm Started ok. Very intense defence from both sides.
Harry’s picked the wrong night to have a bad kicking at goal game
Too much pressure on him poor lad, he’s gutted.
Too much pressure on him? From who?
Everyone, it seemed to me like last season in that without Cust doing the organising, we ended up with two 7’s in the team. I’m not saying that was why we lost but felt he was trying to do a bit too much. He has a good rapport with Cust 😊
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think our recruitment is done I can’t see many additions - seeing in some channels that they see whare as a replacement for French so I wouldn’t get too excited

I have two major concerns for us next year

The obvious is Powell and the fact the club refuse to allow competition to him - he isn’t good enough never was and is only getting older hes a heavy anchor to drag round but hey he’s the blue eyed boy and will not be moved regardless of the damage he does to our chances - at least we are winning the “best trainer and best person to be around the club” awards that mean so much

The second is now that briers has left - we have an entire coaches staff made up of people who were here during lams reign and no other voices so I fail to see how we won’t end up back there but we will see
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:04 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:31 am I am not sure why certain players should be selected for criticism, collectively we were not good enough. Plenty of possession, good field position but no end product. You win as a team and lose as a team, and that includes the coaching staff. Everyone needs to learn from tonight’s experience if we are to progress.
Spot on!
Because like it or not certain positions are far more important to a team than others - hooker is probably the most important so if you have one of your worst players there it sticks out more than in other positions

People go on about the forwards being poor it’s no coincidence that forwards play better with better hookers. When O’Neill plays the players felt confident to hit the ball flat at speed - Powell passes 5-10m back everytime and everyone’s at a standing start because of the length of time it takes him to get the ball to them

The best props in the world would struggle playing off powell
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 am
Dreamteam wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:41 am

Yeah I’ll go with that dreamteam.
He is a bettering ram and has an offload, he just seems to be blowing after 5 mins which isn’t good enough

I watched him at rabbits the season before. He was never that unfit even with limited game time. He looked really unfit vs Newcastle in pre season as well
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:29 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:34 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:19 pm

Exactly!

Anyway, not sure why but we seemed off par from the start - the week off maybe?

We still have the odd bad game in us that Peet will hopefully iron out, although team selection was a bit puzzling. I'd have been OK with Powell in if O'Neil was on the bench, especially with Cust out.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
It’s not hindsight, it’s foresight. Many of us had the foresight to see that dropping O’Neill meant that our attack would suffer badly. No running threat and slow passing made Leeds’ life simple - they can ignore the ruck and come up fast on the outside players. We have been saying it for years and that’s what happened. That’s why we failed to take advantage of the positions we created. Dropping O’Neill, when we were already without Cust, cost us massively last night. I am hoping and praying that Peet is sharp enough to have realised.

The forwards made a lot of ground, and set up excellent field position. Marshall and Field (and French) were dangerous when given space. We lost that game through Tommy and Powell. We had to play Tommy, and picking Powell meant he was going to be under a lot of pressure when he got the ball, but he was nevertheless terrible. Both of those had had long lay offs and it showed.

It’s hugely frustrating, because it didn’t have to be like that.
Even I agree about omitting O’Neill & I am definitely not anti Powell & selecting him wasn’t the reason we lost. Said to Stephen we wouldn’t win tonight, even though in my heart I wanted it so much not just for myself & friends but for Matt, Briers, Lockers & of course the team themselves.

Spoke to Ben Thaler before the game & said about us playing Leeds 3 times & having Liam Moore 3 times & he was surprised at that. That was one thing he couldn’t get his head round!

But then when he thought about it, he said he’s been back refereeing full time since being chronically ill with Covid & pneumonia & that he has had 7 SL games this season & out of them he’s had Leeds 5 games either reffing or VR he couldn’t understand that either!

Maybe there may be some more consistency when IMG take over & stop all this favourite treatment of Kendall & Moore as top refs because I feel they aren’t!