Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:16 pm I think our recruitment is done I can’t see many additions - seeing in some channels that they see whare as a replacement for French so I wouldn’t get too excited

I have two major concerns for us next year

The obvious is Powell and the fact the club refuse to allow competition to him - he isn’t good enough never was and is only getting older hes a heavy anchor to drag round but hey he’s the blue eyed boy and will not be moved regardless of the damage he does to our chances - at least we are winning the “best trainer and best person to be around the club” awards that mean so much

The second is now that briers has left - we have an entire coaches staff made up of people who were here during lams reign and no other voices so I fail to see how we won’t end up back there but we will see
I fear the loss of Briers will haunt Wigan for years I fear,the difference is night and day from the Lam era and I must admit I’m far from convinced at the new coaching set up I’ll be glad to be proven wrong.

Quite why Powell started last night I really don’t know,O’Neil is young and still a way off but he’d been getting momentum in the last few weeks,given Tommy was in the halves,also lacking match fitness it was doomed from the start,add the ridiculous descion to play Cust (and Smith to be fair)in that meaningless Catalan game all came home to roost sadly.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

That prick Zak getting to the final grates on me as well!!
Another reason I wanted us to beat them so badly last night
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:53 pm It’s almost as if our attack is a lot slower giving Leeds more time to defend but nothing has changed has it ……oh wait
Bringing back Leuluai, perhaps unavoidable but still a serious downgrade on Cade, and Powell for O'Neil which was a dreadful decision has slowed our play down to a pedestrian pace, a terrible decision.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

WIGIAN wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 pm Hate to say it , who came out on top again Bateman or the horrible toad Bentley. A shadow of pre NRL JB
A shadow of his pre-Oz self, not worth his marquee position. I have lost count of the occassions I have sworn under my breath at the number of times he has died with the ball when he should have passed which is almost exceeded by the number of appalling reckless passes he has thrown out grabbed by the opposition and put us under dangerous pressure.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:58 am Well, we all had a chance to experience time travel last night and what we watched was Adrian Lam's side from last season.
Endless battering down the middle near the line - painfully slow passing out to the wings, if it got out there - Harry having to play in a position that doesn't suit him - it went on and on.

Really bad points. Tommy's attack - Powell's passing - Mago's traditional lazy penalty and zero contribution - Ellis' non-introduction until the 50th minute and then his lack of involvement. And of course - Bateman.

Really good points. Smithies' discipline in the face of endless provocation - KPP's whole game, especially in defence - Marshall's overall MOM play for us - Cooper's overall contribution -Tommy's defence - Havard's running and penetration.

As long as the coaching staff realise that this was a blueprint of how not to play, we can learn from this. Get two new overseas props to replace the two we currently have. Think hard about whether Toby King really is the answer to the centre problem. Get Cust's injuries sorted out once and for all in the break. Get O'Neill in the team or buy another hooker if the management don't believe in him. Say good bye with regrets and thanks to some players - Isa, Partington, for example.

If we don't learn, then it will be painful but there is the basis to be more successful next season and win the lot!
A brilliant summary of where we are and what needs to be done to build on the foundation Matty Peet has created this season.

Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Very tempting to be negative after a disheartening defeat like last nights.
But on the positive side we’ve had a trophy winning season with more entertainment than we’ve seen in a long time.

I think a lot of us would have seen this as excellent progress this time last year.

But on the other hand…

At times we look like a two man team when we’re in possession.

We certainly have no plan B

I think Briers may prove to be a significant loss. I think new non Wigan blood in the coaching staff is essential.

It’s my personal view that Field and French make the others in the team look better that they are, and I feel that at least half the team aren’t of the quality /standard required of a Wigan player. I know some of us oldies tend to overdo the “ back in the glory days” stuff but some of the current team wouldn’t be allowed to be water carriers back then.

So, good progress this season, but some serious concerns going forward.

Fingers crossed.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Euclid wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:10 pm Very tempting to be negative after a disheartening defeat like last nights.
But on the positive side we’ve had a trophy winning season with more entertainment than we’ve seen in a long time.

I think a lot of us would have seen this as excellent progress this time last year.

But on the other hand…

At times we look like a two man team when we’re in possession.

We certainly have no plan B

I think Briers may prove to be a significant loss. I think new non Wigan blood in the coaching staff is essential.

It’s my personal view that Field and French make the others in the team look better that they are, and I feel that at least half the team aren’t of the quality /standard required of a Wigan player. I know some of us oldies tend to overdo the “ back in the glory days” stuff but some of the current team wouldn’t be allowed to be water carriers back then.

So, good progress this season, but some serious concerns going forward.

Fingers crossed.
Oh there’s many positives to this season and some negatives.
Hopefully the negatives will be addressed in the off season and we can go one better next season
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:53 am
Graham1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 am We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

The true test for Peet as a coach will be how he improves the team next season and recruitment. If we are to lose Bevan his job gets much more difficult because he has been lucky enough to have inherited Field and French at full fitness. But assuming Bevan does one more season. Then full back and wings pick themselves. I suppose since we have brought king in he will be first choice so Halsall has to be the other we would be mad to let him go to Wakefield.

Half backs has to be Smith, cust I would consider moving him to hooker along with Oneill. So would look to recruit a creative 6

Props don’t think we look for any having brought in the 2 Aussies and Cooper last year. I think we have some good young academy props coming through as well

Hooker, Powell has to be replaced if we want a plan b. Cust and Oneill would be my choice,

Back rowers. Bateman not the player he was. Farrell not getting any younger. KPP off to Newcastle 2024?. So only leaves Smithies. We need to recruit a back rower. Especially as we have just let McDonnell and Nicholson slip through our fingers. Poor management there on KR part

Not a massive recruitment required but 2 quality signings and we will be up there next season. Over to you Matty and Co.
Interesting post, Faz and Batman should be around for a couple more years so the timing for those two was wrong, I'm also guessing we are retaining KPP and Nsemba is developing well. For me, Smithies is just too slow for a top notch back rower. I also think we need a couple of yard makers at prop, hopefully Byrne can develop further so we would just need to sign one. Again we have a number of props developing in the reserves.
I rate smithies but agree hes not the fastest……. I can see him being a prop in later years
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:44 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:53 am
Graham1 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 am We lost because Field or French didn’t win it for us. We rely so much on them that when teams shut them down we struggle. We have no plan B and that has to be down to the coaches or their team selection. Hopefully, Peet will learn a lot from last night but deserves credit for the good season we all have enjoyed some of our tries have been exceptional to watch

The true test for Peet as a coach will be how he improves the team next season and recruitment. If we are to lose Bevan his job gets much more difficult because he has been lucky enough to have inherited Field and French at full fitness. But assuming Bevan does one more season. Then full back and wings pick themselves. I suppose since we have brought king in he will be first choice so Halsall has to be the other we would be mad to let him go to Wakefield.

Half backs has to be Smith, cust I would consider moving him to hooker along with Oneill. So would look to recruit a creative 6

Props don’t think we look for any having brought in the 2 Aussies and Cooper last year. I think we have some good young academy props coming through as well

Hooker, Powell has to be replaced if we want a plan b. Cust and Oneill would be my choice,

Back rowers. Bateman not the player he was. Farrell not getting any younger. KPP off to Newcastle 2024?. So only leaves Smithies. We need to recruit a back rower. Especially as we have just let McDonnell and Nicholson slip through our fingers. Poor management there on KR part

Not a massive recruitment required but 2 quality signings and we will be up there next season. Over to you Matty and Co.
Interesting post, Faz and Batman should be around for a couple more years so the timing for those two was wrong, I'm also guessing we are retaining KPP and Nsemba is developing well. For me, Smithies is just too slow for a top notch back rower. I also think we need a couple of yard makers at prop, hopefully Byrne can develop further so we would just need to sign one. Again we have a number of props developing in the reserves.
I rate smithies but agree hes not the fastest……. I can see him being a prop in later years
Smithies hasn’t the hands for a second rower either, he is more like a hard runner
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Last night is so easy to sum up, a 7 year old could do it.

We have absolutely no creativity in the halves

We have won this season where the above was offset by fast ball, exploited by Field and French who are deadly against a team retreating on the back foot. Add to this Marshall who has an eye for the line, and an ability to squeeze over like few that I have seen. An individual skill with little reliance on the halves.

Take that away and we have absolutely no cutting edge.

Bateman should be offloaded asap. Way too expensive for what he offers. Last night's tackle was stupid and whilst it wouldn't have changed the result, it certainly solidified it.

In terms of enjoyment, last night was the worst money I have spent in a long time.