Wigan squad for Semi Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad named for Friday’s Play-Off Semi Final game against Leeds Rhinos.

The winner will progress to the Betfred Super League Grand Final.

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos, Friday 16th September, 8pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named his 21-player Wigan Warriors squad for Friday’s Play-Off Semi Final game against Leeds Rhinos (8pm K.O.).

The Cherry and Whites host Leeds Rhinos, who finished fifth in the Betfred Super League and beat Catalans Dragons in the Play-Off eliminator rounds to book a Semi Final spot.

Team News

Matt Peet has made one change from the squad that faced Catalans in the final round of Betfred Super League as Cade Cust misses out with an elbow injury, Sam Powell returns from a foot injury. Powell will make his 250th Wigan appearance in the game should he be selected.

Wigan squad to face Leeds:

1 Bevan French
2 Jake Bibby
5 Liam Marshall
7 Thomas Leuluai
8 Brad Singleton
9 Sam Powell
10 Patrick Mago
11 Willie Isa
13 John Bateman
14 Morgan Smithies
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Harry Smith
17 Oliver Partington
19 Ethan Havard
20 Liam Byrne
21 Kai Pearce Paul
22 Joe Shorrocks
23 Jai Field
24 Abbas Miski
28 Brad O’Neil
36 MiKe Cooper

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... i-final-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Semi Final

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors & Leeds Rhinos name Semi Final Squads

Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos have both announced their 21-man squads for this Friday evening’s Betfred Super League semi-final clash between the two clubs at the DW Stadium.

Both teams will have some notable absentees, with Wigan missing Cade Cust, following his injury in their final league game of the season, while Liam Farrell will also be missing, although more positively Wigan coach Matty Peet has selected hooker Sam Powell, who is in line to make his 250th Wigan appearance.

The Rhinos also have several players absent, including both wingers David Fusitu’a and captain Ash Handley, as well as centre Harry Newman and the suspended Rhyse Martin.

The Rhinos also have several players who, if selected, will achieve significant milestones.

James Donaldson and Brad Dwyer could both make their 250th career appearances, while Mikolaj Oledzki could make his 100th Super League appearance and Cameron Smith could make his 100th appearance for the Rhinos and Tom Briscoe needs just one try for his 150th Super League try.

Wigan: 1 Bevan French, 2 Jake Bibby, 5 Liam Marshall, 7 Thomas Leuluai, 8 Brad Singleton, 9 Sam Powell, 10 Patrick Mago, 11 Willie Isa, 13 John Bateman, 14 Morgan Smithies, 15 Kaide Ellis, 16 Harry Smith, 17 Oliver Partington, 19 Ethan Havard, 20 Liam Byrne, 21 Kai Pearce-Paul, 22 Joe Shorrocks, 23 Jai Field, 24 Abbas Miski, 28 Brad O’Neill, 36 Mike Cooper.

Leeds: 4 Liam Sutcliffe, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Mikolaj Oledzki, 9 Kruise Leeming, 10 Matt Prior, 11 James Bentley, 13 Zane Tetevano, 14 Brad Dwyer, 16 Richie Myler, 17 Cameron Smith, 19 Bodene Thompson, 20 Tom Briscoe, 22 Sam Walters, 24 Jarrod O’Connor, 25 James Donaldson, 26 Corey Johnson, 28 Muizz Mustapha, 29 Liam Tindall, 32 Jack Sinfield, 33 Zak Hardaker.

https://www.totalrl.com/wigan-warriors- ... al-squads/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am guessing Hardaker will get a warm reception…
Leeds are clearly very dangerous. But with home advantage and a big pitch, we can run round them.
Nervous, now.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:04 pm I am guessing Hardaker will get a warm reception…
Leeds are clearly very dangerous. But with home advantage and a big pitch, we can run round them.
Nervous, now.
Not sure we really have home advantage atm when we’ve sold naff all tickets. Leeds already sold 3 k
mikey

Post by mikey »

Leeds Rhino’s tickets have bigger discounts than ours if our support is a low turnout they should be given to all junior local rugby teams and parents otherwise the 18th man is not there
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

mikey wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:12 pm Leeds Rhino’s tickets have bigger discounts than ours if our support is a low turnout they should be given to all junior local rugby teams and parents otherwise the 18th man is not there
The RFL are running this show so no chance of that happening.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

mikey wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:12 pm Leeds Rhino’s tickets have bigger discounts than ours if our support is a low turnout they should be given to all junior local rugby teams and parents otherwise the 18th man is not there
You can bet that we’ll sell 30 k if we get to the final tho pal. I reckon we’ve sold 3-5 k max. What genius thinks charging people nearly 30 quid for a ticket in a cost of living crisis was a good idea. Especially when we could be playing in a final next week. May as well save your money most will be thinking
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:37 pm
You can bet that we’ll sell 30 k if we get to the final tho pal. I reckon we’ve sold 3-5 k max. What genius thinks charging people nearly 30 quid for a ticket in a cost of living crisis was a good idea. Especially when we could be playing in a final next week. May as well save your money most will be thinking
It is lunacy,I’ve said it time and again these games don’t get great attendances so why pitch the price so high,I know people blame the RFL but I never buy that because I doubt they know off hand the cost to hire in this case the DW for a game?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:21 pm
It is lunacy,I’ve said it time and again these games don’t get great attendances so why pitch the price so high,I know people blame the RFL but I never buy that because I doubt they know off hand the cost to hire in this case the DW for a game?
This is the exact reason I'm not going to the semi finals as I wanted to save the 25 quid in case we made the final.

Final ticket + Drinks + food in Manchester or at stadium is easily going to be over £100 and with it being back to school month and all that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:21 pm
Since the rent has gone up the prices have gone up. Peet said in his preview the other day the semi vs Salford a few years ago was like a home game for Salford with the amount they brought. He also said straight after I’m sure it won’t be like that this time. It’s on track to be even worse 🫣