Warriors visit Derian House

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors visit Derian House

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors recently visited Derian House Children’s Hospice to spend an afternoon experiencing the facilities and meeting staff and young people.

All members of the squad and Coaching Staff made the trip to Derian House, based in Chorley and were given an in-depth experience of what the Children’s Hospice offers.

Derian House provides respite and end-of-life care to more than 450 children and young people from across the North West. In 2019 the hospice was rated Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission.

From trying out sensory elements, relaxation and education – the groups also got to get competitive as they faced off to play curling and bocce alongside Andy and Mike, two young people who visit the facility.

Head Coach Matt Peet said: “We’ve been blown away, not just by the services at Derian House but by the level of care that they provide for families. None of us want to have to need to use a hospice, but it’s comforting to see that these services are here to support families if they need it.

“It was very humbling for us all. No matter what happens in our next few games, this experience has really put things into perspective for us all.”

Lynn Grayson, Director of Clinical Services at Derian House, said: “It meant a lot to have Wigan Warriors here. Not only did their visit bring joy to our young people but it also showed the staff how valued they all are. They do some amazing work.

“I’d like to thank the Wigan Warriors for giving us the opportunity to talk about and share what we do here. It is so important for us to raise awareness of our services so that the families who need us know we are here.

“I wish the Wigan Warriors the best of luck in their next game – I know there’ll be a few of us here cheering the team on.”

Find out more about Derian House: https://www.derianhouse.co.uk/

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... ian-house/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan