2022 Recruits - Review

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: 2022 Recruits - Review

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Cust and cooper both fine additions to the team IMO

Ellis been decent some better games than others

Minski is what he is a back up player and he has performed that role well

Thornley shouldn’t of been signed and proved it

Mago I think provides us something none of our other props do it’s a bit like when we had feka but I agree in modern times he needs to be fitter
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Very similar opinion to Wigan forever1985

Cust and Cooper improved the team, 7/10 each. Cust very solid, Cooper along with Havard need to be the top two choices at prop next season. When they came on against Leeds I thought our go forward moved up a notch.

Miski howler of a debut match but did well on the other occasions, not one to get me jumping out of my seat.
Waste of a quota spot if not a regular. 5/10.

Thornley retched bad luck all season, not good enough though, he frightened me to death in defence, poor positioning and a habit of jumping out of the line. 3/10.

Mago mixed emotions on him, very good at carrying the ball which attracts tacklers and he is also very difficult to put on the floor. He has in him the ability for a good offload, then on the flip side he can be reckless in his attempts which can put us under pressure on occasions. He is poor at playing the ball, a bit clumsy in that regard which again can turn attack into defence. Finally have you ever seen anyone look more knackered, two drives and he's goosed, 15 minutes and he has to be carried off suffering from exhaustion.
For what he might do well in his brief spell 5/10.

Ellis this is where I believe I differ from most, when he came back after his first suspension early in the season he came back with a determination to make amends and he had about three or four good games. Since then he has gradually become ineffective hardly getting minutes as per last Friday. Not for me 4/10.

Overall recruitment not very good at all 5/10.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:37 pm
up the junction wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:36 pm I Honestly think Mago is a decent player ? Can’t understand the criticism.
Do you not see for every good run or offload he does there’s an error or not being back in the defensive line ?
Never in a month of Sundays does he Error for every good bit of play he comes up with ! Yes I can see the odd mistake but hang on a minute , it’s his first season over here , he will get fitter and more suited to our play structures as will Ellis and Cust . Mago is the type of prop we have been crying out for , IMO.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I think our recruitment has been better these last couple years than it has for a while.
I think all the signings have improved us, the only one I have doubt with is Mago he needs to improve his fitness
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Oh sorry I missed thornley , let’s be honest he hasn’t worked out. Injuries have always plagued him.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:27 pm I think our recruitment has been better these last couple years than it has for a while.
I think all the signings have improved us, the only one I have doubt with is Mago he needs to improve his fitness
Didn’t he join pre season late? In his interview he said himself he wanted to drop some weight and be more leaner. I’m hoping he’ll work on things over the off season and hopefully have a good pre season
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Cust 8/10- Solid first season, still not sure if he'd be at better 9, but I'm fine with him & Smith continuing together for next season.

Mago 2/10 - Agree with most have said. Unfit, missing when we're on the back foot, mistake waiting to happen and leaves massive holes in defence.

Ellis 6/10 - Started off pretty strong and put up some good numbers but then tailed off and got complacent. Needs a rocket up his arse or something. I rate him and think he'd be a top SL prop if he wants it.

Minski 5/10 - Added OK competion, decent meter maker & finshier, but to short & not confident under the high ball. Waste of a quota spot.

Thornley 1/10 - Unfortunately too injurys, but I do think he was are best centre when he played. Which says it all really.

Cooper 7/10 - Some solid performances, him & Havard easily are best meter makers. Should be starting pair next season unless we sign anybody else. Hopefully he's got few good years left in him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why do most posters say Cust is better at 9? He prefers being stand off.

Is this another way of saying get rid of Powell? Genuine question.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 am Why do most posters say Cust is better at 9? He prefers being stand off.

Preferring 6 does not mean better at 6.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:17 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 am Why do most posters say Cust is better at 9? He prefers being stand off.

Preferring 6 does not mean better at 6.
I think Cust & Smith make an excellent half back pairing. Do you not?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan