99 not out - our oldest fan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

99 not out - our oldest fan?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was thinking today about when to buy the season tickets for our group, and was chatting away with my auntie about it. She will be 99 next May, having gone to her first game when she was 8 (she astonishingly appears in the DVD they put together about our glorious history - sitting on a chair at the edge of the pitch for a game in the 30s).

I was wondering whether she might be our oldest season ticket holder? Maybe Josie might be know (she is also called Josie, though with an accent over the “e” and no “i” for some reason lost in the mists of time).

One thing I should mention is that she is a terrible loser, and was still sulking yesterday, It’s probably just a phase and she’ll grow out of it.
josie andrews

Re: 99 not out - our oldest fan?

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:18 pm I was thinking today about when to buy the season tickets for our group, and was chatting away with my auntie about it. She will be 99 next May, having gone to her first game when she was 8 (she astonishingly appears in the DVD they put together about our glorious history - sitting on a chair at the edge of the pitch for a game in the 30s).

I was wondering whether she might be our oldest season ticket holder? Maybe Josie might be know (she is also called Josie, though with an accent over the “e” and no “i” for some reason lost in the mists of time).

One thing I should mention is that she is a terrible loser, and was still sulking yesterday, It’s probably just a phase and she’ll grow out of it.
I’ll try & find out but not sure when it will be. Send me a PM with her full name & I’ll see what I can do 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm sure I recall a poster, could have been here or on RL Fans, talking about a female relative who'd seen the grandfather of one of the current team (Marshall?) playing for Wigan in the 1930s. Might even be the same person?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Obv I know Marshall's dad played for Wigan.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

moto748 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 pm I'm sure I recall a poster, could have been here or on RL Fans, talking about a female relative who'd seen the grandfather of one of the current team (Marshall?) playing for Wigan in the 1930s. Might even be the same person?
Our Jose saw Tom Davies grandfather (or possible great grandfather) play in the 30s.
Incidentally, her favourite player is Jim Sullivan, though Billy B and Ellery get honourable mentions.
I will see whether I can get her to pick her all time favourite team from players she has seen, and could post it here, if that might be of interest? (Edited to give Mr S his proper name. Sorry, Jim.)
Last edited by Exiled Wiganer on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:18 pm I was thinking today about when to buy the season tickets for our group, and was chatting away with my auntie about it. She will be 99 next May, having gone to her first game when she was 8 (she astonishingly appears in the DVD they put together about our glorious history - sitting on a chair at the edge of the pitch for a game in the 30s).

🤣🤣