Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Ian Lenagan

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:51 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:14 pm I the one thing that worries me is what I’ve said on other threads

People talk about the lam dark times and we all remember them

Everyone who is in the coaching staff next year was present either in the coaching staff or team then so we will have exactly the same minds that were with us during those times obviously minus lam

However a brief glance at lams leigh tenure

Points difference of over 1000 effectively double the 2nd place - score over 300 points more than anyone in the league. Now we know he’s got the best team in a poorer league but it makes me nervous to how’s much of our attack is mr briers
So are you putting every improvement down to one assistant coach?
Its like fantasy RL for Leigh this season. Every other week buy a new player / overseas player. Fev tried to keep up with them but failed, and its no shock that they finished top and most likely to win the GF

I'm personally not going to go over the top on praise for Lam as he couldnt deliver at Wigan. it was DIRE, and, unless he was being instructed from above to not play 1st team props last season, the buck has to stop with him. We went over it almost every week last season that the young forwards were being flogged but we had 4 1st team props sat in the stands, and no-one could understand why
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

the pieman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:29 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:51 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:14 pm I the one thing that worries me is what I’ve said on other threads

People talk about the lam dark times and we all remember them

Everyone who is in the coaching staff next year was present either in the coaching staff or team then so we will have exactly the same minds that were with us during those times obviously minus lam

However a brief glance at lams leigh tenure

Points difference of over 1000 effectively double the 2nd place - score over 300 points more than anyone in the league. Now we know he’s got the best team in a poorer league but it makes me nervous to how’s much of our attack is mr briers
So are you putting every improvement down to one assistant coach?
Its like fantasy RL for Leigh this season. Every other week buy a new player / overseas player. Fev tried to keep up with them but failed, and its no shock that they finished top and most likely to win the GF

I'm personally not going to go over the top on praise for Lam as he couldnt deliver at Wigan. it was DIRE, and, unless he was being instructed from above to not play 1st team props last season, the buck has to stop with him. We went over it almost every week last season that the young forwards were being flogged but we had 4 1st team props sat in the stands, and no-one could understand why
to answer Caboosegg - no not putting everything down to Briers but i guess its a question - how much of our attacking ability has Briers brought out or how much of our attacking ability did lam hold back?

Matt Peet was in the coaching team when lam was here, Sean o'loughlin was a senior player as was tommy - thats our coaching team next year. I just find it difficult to believe none of them had any input during lams tenure and he was this all dominating force of bad choices. Again im not saying everything is Briers but he is the only "new" face that wasnt here when Lam was here

Hopefully we will move on but Leeds will be better next year with their new coach, Saints will be there and there abouts. Wire could either make a charge or fall flat.

Where are the new ideas now coming from with Wigan?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

How do most fans think our attack would be if bevan and jai was injured? Genuine question
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:46 pm How do most fans think our attack would be if bevan and jai was injured? Genuine question
It wouldn’t be as good but that is stating the obvious just like if Martin Offiah had been injured when he was playing so isn’t the real question, do we rely on these two too much?

There were a few games last season where the threat from Field and French was nullified and we lost seemingly not having a plan B if plan A of giving the ball to these two wasn’t working.

Our hooker (when it was Powell) and both centres provided little attacking threat. So with an honourable mention to Marshall it’s not really surprising they were the major attacking force in the team. If Wardle signs and with King, hopefully we will get a better contribution from the centres at least next season.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:46 pm How do most fans think our attack would be if bevan and jai was injured? Genuine question
We'd have had the same season we had under Lam. Without threat players everyone else looks worse, with threat players opportunity opens for the whole team. The coach, whoever he is, can't coach around that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

DaveO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:00 pm
It wouldn’t be as good but that is stating the obvious just like if Martin Offiah had been injured when he was playing so isn’t the real question, do we rely on these two too much?

There were a few games last season where the threat from Field and French was nullified and we lost seemingly not having a plan B if plan A of giving the ball to these two wasn’t working.

Our hooker (when it was Powell) and both centres provided little attacking threat. So with an honourable mention to Marshall it’s not really surprising they were the major attacking force in the team. If Wardle signs and with King, hopefully we will get a better contribution from the centres at least next season.
i've recently commented when arguing with some Saints fans that my criticism of the club at the start of the season was lack of recruitment / foresight re centres. To run with Thornley and Hardaker as 1st choice centres was a risky decision, given we knew 1 had injury problems and the other didnt want to be here plus we had run most of last season with 2nd rows playing there. We've done well to get the ball out to our threats, without a recognised centre again virtually all season

Hopefully with the recruitment and having 2 recognised centres, plus Thornley and Halsall, we should be far better off in this position and have resolved 1 issue

the final part of that jigsaw is then getting good quality fast ball out from the play of the ball which really could be down into 2 bits. 1 dominate the play of the ball, get to ground and good quick POB (do our props actually do this on a regular basis) and 2 quality distribution, fast and accurate out to the 1st receiver, and on that i personally agree that it is far too slow and allows the defensive team to line up the 1st player / close down Field running wide far easier than if the 1st receiver has time and space to make a decision
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:58 pm
We'd have had the same season we had under Lam. Without threat players everyone else looks worse, with threat players opportunity opens for the whole team. The coach, whoever he is, can't coach around that.

So in theory Peet is no better or worse than Lam?
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I think Lam has proven quite emphatically he can arrange and organise an attacking style of rugby, albeit in a sub-standard league. I think with a better assistant (Briers) and both Field, French & Hastings available, we would of had a very similar season.

I am looking forward to seeing how Leigh (& Lam) go in SL next year.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:28 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:13 pm

I think Lam has proven quite emphatically he can arrange and organise an attacking style of rugby, albeit in a sub-standard league. I think with a better assistant (Briers) and both Field, French & Hastings available, we would of had a very similar season.

I am looking forward to seeing how Leigh (& Lam) go in SL next year.
Hastings was a big part of our issues in attack, he had to do everything himself.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I disagree. Coaching goes much, much further than just coaching the players on the pitch. The entire ethos at Wigan Warriors has changed in the last 12 months. Not just the players and coaching staff, but all office staff from top to bottom. To quote a friend who works pretty high up in the club, "the difference is absolutely remarkable". There's a buzz about the place, but not just that, there's a respect for themselves and each other. Things like office staff being invited to eat meals with the first team, players acknowledging everyone in the building (something I've experienced first hand) and the whole ethos about respecting the club.

I'd go so far as to say psychology plays an equally big part in success as the coaching does and the way that Matty has used positivity and visualisation as well as respect has paid huge dividends. Listen to the Lee Briers podcasts to hear just how much the ethos has changed this last year. I've been told a lot of things about the culture and atmosphere in the club over the last few years and this last year is a huge contrast to Lam's days.