Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Ian Lenagan

Post by josie andrews »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:57 am I think you can pretty much say all the above is true to some degree.
Lam loves Wigan 100% he was a stop gap so always had that hanging over him.
While I genuinely like him his squad choices and subs at times drove me mad. He was unlucky not to win the GF the season when Matty Peet came back, that season when he arrived into our set up performances improved massively especially in D where Peet was supposed to be in charge. Singleton coming in also seemed to galvanize the squad towards the backend. The season after we lost Lockers from playing and while not at his best it's massive boots to fill from a standards point and that impact shouldn't be understated. We had also lost such a big turning point game on the last touch of the ball. Then Field got injured and we never recovered after Bevan also did his hamstring. The little things standard wise slipped and we never kicked on.
Things wasn't working and listening to the Matty podcast pre season it was pretty clear that he couldn't change what he wanted to from within in his position.
I think Briers brought a fresh out look like the recruitment it seemed people with points to prove and the right attitude off the field was to a degree the important attribute. You imagine all the best points are picked up by players from coaches they have played under but not all go on to be great coaches so questions rightly remain.
I will miss Briers, the reasons I didn't like him when a player was because he was so good and while he was with us you could see why he caused us so many problems. We all enjoyed our rugby this season I hope it's the same next season and better. We was always short in the centre, it's pretty obvious a Smith Tommy Powell combo in the halves in tough games didn't work and with no real cut outside in the centre it was like we had gone back a season, Faz was a huge miss he made up for that minus outside giving us some threat. Throw one of Cust or O'niel in and we are Ok. Powell is fine with Field Bev Cust Smith Faz outside the ruck but I wish we had a running threat form ruck. The semi we had lost Cust Faz and Bev and even O'neil who is a more threatening ball in hand. It allowed Leeds passive D to stand back and we lacked a way to break it even though I thought we was more dominant than Saints was in the final against them. Just as a note Briers was still coaching us in that semi?
I was proud of us last season not the finished article but plenty strides in the right direction.
Cracking post, totally agree with what you have said lucky 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Ian Lenagan

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:01 pm How can you call Lam a ‘bad egg’? He was shoved into the job due to Edwards crying off at the last minute, he was supposed to be here for a year & then assistant & then trying to get everything working in a short period of time & during a pandemic. We had several long term injuries also.

We played more matches than any other team during the 2 years of Covid because we didn’t pick & choose (cheated really) like other clubs, who & when they wanted to play!

The only thing I had against Lam was his continually playing the young lads, as I & several other members have commented on several times during that period when we had experienced forwards, props etc sitting in the dugout or on season long loans! He didn’t rotate the squad IMO as he should have. We are very lucky the likes of Partington, Smithies, Havard, Byrne, Smith & KPP have come through with their careers unscathed.

Lam loves this club & the people of this town & that will never change.
I didn't I said if Lam was a bad egg not that he is.

My point is if the there's an issue with the coach even if its just he doesn't fit, it impacts all levels and we shouldn't judge everyone in that set up as a whole.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.