Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Ian Lenagan

Post by DaveO »

WellI am going to play devils advocate.

We are all pleased about French but Saints, with four GF wins in a row aren’t worried.

They have for the last four seasons had better balanced sides than Wigan which is why they have won. Yes we won’t be CC this year knocking them out but we went into this season with one senior centre who was 31 and injury prone. And he was actually a recruit!

The club has for several seasons kept players on who were too old and past it and shows ridiculous loyalty to players who aren’t good enough.

Those running the club have pulled off something I didn’t think possible keeping French but they need to get real about the other positions and move away from how they have been over loyal to average or too old players.

Hopefully recruitment isn’t over with French and we have others to come on board such as Wardle but while the fCC win was welcome if long overdue if the side that ended the season is the same plus King for next year, Saints won’t be worried about it much as they were not this.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Wardle has signed so in your opinion who else do we need / where are we lacking?

Field
Marshall
Wardle
King
French
Cust
Smith
Cooper
Powell
Havard
Farrell
Bateman / KPP
Smithies

Mago
Ellis
Singleton
Byrne
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:12 am Wardle has signed so in your opinion who else do we need / where are we lacking?

Field
Marshall
Wardle
King
French
Cust
Smith
Cooper
Powell
Havard
Farrell
Bateman / KPP
Smithies

Mago
Ellis
Singleton
Byrne
6, 7, 9 is our weakest area imo looking at that first 13.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:16 am
Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:12 am Wardle has signed so in your opinion who else do we need / where are we lacking?

Field
Marshall
Wardle
King
French
Cust
Smith
Cooper
Powell
Havard
Farrell
Bateman / KPP
Smithies

Mago
Ellis
Singleton
Byrne
6, 7, 9 is our weakest area imo looking at that first 13.
Sorry but disagree with you in regards to the halves,Cust and Smith where very effective and it got better as the season wore,now comes the caveat it’s clear to all the influence Briers had on Smith and I’d count Cust with a heap of credit with young Harry too,the way they talked to each other was a joy to see,but the question is will it continue?

Now the thorny issue of a hooker….well let’s agree on that one :D
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Yes agree on the halves with you there - smith & cust work well and suppose the only issue there is depth - with Tommy retiring who can cover?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Totally agree with DaveO the reason saints keeping winning is in their retainment and recruitment of overseas players and coaches. The overseas players they bring in are not fringe players but ones that are normally first choice or battle hardened players. Whereas ours like Ellis, Mago and Cust for example struggle to get in their sides. Would saints have signed those 3 IMO I don’t think so.

We lost to Leeds because we totally depend on Field and French in attack and it didn’t happen. Our go forward is poor and too slow. Sorry to say it but today’s rugby you have to have a quality 9 which we lack. I know it can’t happen but would release mago and Ellis bring in a big mobile prop, half back, and hooker. Being greedy another back row forward. But 3 out the 4 would do.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am Totally agree with DaveO the reason saints keeping winning is in their retainment and recruitment of overseas players and coaches. The overseas players they bring in are not fringe players but ones that are normally first choice or battle hardened players. Whereas ours like Ellis, Mago and Cust for example struggle to get in their sides. Would saints have signed those 3 IMO I don’t think so.

We lost to Leeds because we totally depend on Field and French in attack and it didn’t happen. Our go forward is poor and too slow. Sorry to say it but today’s rugby you have to have a quality 9 which we lack. I know it can’t happen but would release mago and Ellis bring in a big mobile prop, half back, and hooker. Being greedy another back row forward. But 3 out the 4 would do.
I was watching Paasi causing mayhem in the Leeds ranks and thought he was the dort of forward we should have signed, must not forget however that Mago and Ellis were an improvement on the front row we had in 2021 so it might be small steps at first.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

This is a case of your only as good as your last game on here.
We have arguably been the best team in the league this year . Our squad is very good aside from centre / hooker.
The reason we didn’t win the SL this year is due to a bad game / off day , nothing else.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If ellis and mago improve and oneill keeps improving ( and playing) i think a utilty half would be our next signing….. doesnt have to be a world beater but decent
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Flash

Post by Flash »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:31 am Totally agree with DaveO the reason saints keeping winning is in their retainment and recruitment of overseas players and coaches. The overseas players they bring in are not fringe players but ones that are normally first choice or battle hardened players. Whereas ours like Ellis, Mago and Cust for example struggle to get in their sides. Would saints have signed those 3 IMO I don’t think so.

Replace Ellis, Mago and Cust in that statement and replace with Field and French who were in a similar position. What are your thoughts now?