Bibby departs Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Bibby departs Wigan

Post by Mike »

There probably just maximising media impact by spreading out annoucements. There's not much else that will get then publicity for a few months.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:23 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:20 pm

Tried to keep him before getting King and Wardle or before?

Tried to keep him to play on the wing?
French Marshall Miski all ahead on the wing you’d say. A centre was coming in no matter what even if bibby was staying which would push him down the pecking order. I just don’t think he’s Wigan quality at all
I agree. The team needs to evolve if we are to catch and pass Saints, that means we need to retain our best talent and replace some players by better one’s. Jake has been ok for Wigan but you get what you pay for and Wigan has decided that the salary cap can best be used on new players. That’s the type of ruthlessness I am expecting from the management. Having said that, I wish Jake all the best in the future.
Me to. Trouble is, it is not applied consistently or you know who would be long gone.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:16 pm

French Marshall Miski all ahead on the wing you’d say. A centre was coming in no matter what even if bibby was staying which would push him down the pecking order. I just don’t think he’s Wigan quality at all
I agree. The team needs to evolve if we are to catch and pass Saints, that means we need to retain our best talent and replace some players by better one’s. Jake has been ok for Wigan but you get what you pay for and Wigan has decided that the salary cap can best be used on new players. That’s the type of ruthlessness I am expecting from the management. Having said that, I wish Jake all the best in the future.
Me to. Trouble is, it is not applied consistently or you know who would be long gone.
I agree, if Lindsay and company were in charge a number of players would have already been shown the door. Let’s not forget that Mo, and his fellow directors, moved on the likes of Hanley and Gregory.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Agreed the irony being that it would be much more acceptable to a team dynamic to have a average centre/winger than an average pivot
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm

I agree, if Lindsay and company were in charge a number of players would have already been shown the door. Let’s not forget that Mo, and his fellow directors, moved on the likes of Hanley and Gregory.
They probably wouldn't have been signed in the first place
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

It was Hanleys choice to leave . Wigan wanted him to stay
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:33 pm It was Hanleys choice to leave . Wigan wanted him to stay
No it wasn’t, Jack Hilton persuaded him to leave so that Wigan could pocket a large transfer fee from Leeds.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:33 pm It was Hanleys choice to leave . Wigan wanted him to stay
I loved Ellery, he is on of my all time favourite players. However he was obsessed about money and being the best paid at Wigan (remember the fall out when we signed Wally Lewis and his eventually u-turn).

If Leeds offered more money than we would at that stage of his career then more fool Leeds. That and the opportunity to play for his home town club at the end of his career was a greater pull than Wigan throwing money at him could have achieved.

Yes, it was a surprise when he left but it was totally Ellery's choice to do so as we refused to pay the money he wanted
Back by demand.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:10 pm
No it wasn’t, Jack Hilton persuaded him to leave so that Wigan could pocket a large transfer fee from Leeds.
Hanley did get a good offer from Wigan but Leeds offered him just as good offer with a coaching role either during or after it.
That’s why he want ro Leeds as he wanted to get into coaching