Youth Development structure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Youth Development structure confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors confirm the new Youth Development structure for the 2023 season and beyond.

Darrell Goulding departs the Club, Shane Eccles becomes the new Head of Youth and John Duffy joins Wigan as Academy Head Coach.

After two years in the role, former player Darrell Goulding leaves his role as Head of Youth.

As a player, Goulding progressed through the Wigan Academy system, before playing 175 games and scoring 72 tries for his hometown Club. He won the Challenge Cup once and Super League twice after scoring in both the 2010 and 2013 Grand Finals.

After retiring from the game, Goulding moved into coaching and learned his trade as an Assistant Coach for the Wigan Academy, before becoming Head Coach for two years and winning the Under-19s Grand Final in 2017 and 2018. Goulding was part of the first team coaching staff in 2020, before overseeing the youth development at the Club in 2021 and 2022.

Replacing Goulding is Shane Eccles. His Head of Youth role will see him manage player progression and the pathway system for young players entering the Club at Scholarship level, through to the Academy and Reserves teams.

Eccles has worked within Wigan’s Scholarship and Academy system since 2015 in a number of roles. From Scholarship Head Coach to Academy Development Manager, he led the Academy team to Grand Final glory in 2019.

He has also been part of the England Academy coaching staff, as well as being the Head Coach for the Lancashire Academy Origin team.

Becoming the new Academy Head Coach is former Leigh Centurions boss John Duffy. A former half back in his playing days of 16 years, Duffy amassed over 350 games for Warrington Wolves, Salford Red Devils, Leigh Centurions, Chorley Lynx, Whitehaven and Widnes Vikings.

Since retiring from playing in 2003, Duffy has taken on Head Coach roles with Swinton Lions and Featherstone Rovers prior to joining Leigh in 2018. He has also had various roles with the Scotland national team.

On the new Youth Development structure, Head Coach Matt Peet, said: “Darrell has done a great job of leading the Academy and impacted positively on hundreds of young players in his time at the Club. We wish him well for the future and thank him for his hard work and dedication. He should be really proud.

“Shane is perfectly positioned to lead the department to another level having worked so hard in a range of roles in player development. He is an excellent communicator, coach and teacher. He is already a highly valued member of our team and his new role emphasises that.

“John brings to Wigan a wealth of experience and a passion for helping players maximise their talents. Personally, I am really excited to share ideas with John, and I know his expertise and work ethic will benefit the Club, coaching team and ultimately our players.

“I am delighted that the Club continues to invest in the Academy – underlining our ethos of developing home grown talent as a priority.”

On leaving the Club, Goulding said: “It has been a really tough decision to leave the Club, especially when I love I have. However, I have recently had my first child and want to spend more time with him as he grows up.

“The Club and youth department are in a great place and will only go from strength to strength with some great people and players at the Club.

“I wish everyone at the Club all the very best and thank everyone for their support over the years, especially Ian [Lenagan], Kris [Radlinski] and Matt [Peet]. I look forward to watching the Club as a fan and seeing all the youth players progress in their careers.”

On joining Wigan, Duffy said: “I’m absolutely over the moon to be joining Wigan Warriors. I can’t wait to start my role and meet the players and staff. I’m excited to be working with the best young players in the country – developing them into Wigan first team players, along with helping them fulfil their educational opportunities. I would like to thank Ian [Lenagan], Kris [Radlinski], Matty [Peet] and Shane [Eccles] for giving me this opportunity.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/10/ ... confirmed/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Youth Development structure confirmed

Post by Caboosegg »

Do we know why Goulding has left? I expected to see him as a assistant coach at some point.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I was wondering the same re: Goulding, seemed to do a pretty decent job? Assistant coaching roles elsewhere?

Would have thought John Duffy would have bring a lot of experience as an assistant, surely offers more than Leuluai?
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Have to imagine John Duffy will be assisting peet locker and tommy as much as working with academy
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:52 pm Do we know why Goulding has left? I expected to see him as a assistant coach at some point.
I read a quote for him saying he has just had his first child and wanted to spend more time with them. This was on one of RL news web sites. Can't remember which one sorry.

I thought it was a bit odd. Maybe there is more travelling and weekend work in the job than as a new Dad he wanted.