Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are pleased to announce the signing of centre Jake Wardle on a three-year deal.

The move sees Sam Halsall and Jack Bibby go in the opposite direction to Huddersfield Giants in permanent deals.

Wardle, 23, came through Huddersfield’s Academy and made his debut for the club in 2016.

Having played for both the Giants and most recently Warrington Wolves, the outside back has scored 22 tries in 62 Super League appearances.

Halifax-born Wardle is an England international having made his try-scoring debut in a win over the Combined Nations All Stars earlier this year. He also featured in England Knights’ win over France last weekend.

On joining the Club, Wardle said: “It’s all happened pretty quickly. I want to take the opportunity with both hands. One of the main reasons for coming was Matty Peet who has known me since I was 16.

“The Club speaks for itself – I want to bring some more success to the Club and win trophies.

“The facilities are unbelievable and first class. I can’t wait to get stuck in and bring what I can to the team.”

Head Coach, Matt Peet, commented: “We have high expectations for Jake and look forward to welcoming him and his family into our Club. He is a player we have admired throughout his development and he is a credit to the Huddersfield Giants Academy. We are confident that he will be a great fit for Wigan.”

Wardle’s arrival sees two departures with Sam Halsall and Jack Bibby going the opposite way to Huddersfield.

Having progressed through Wigan’s Academy, 21-year-old Halsall made 17 first team appearances for the Warriors, scoring eight tries.

Similarly, prop forward Bibby came through the system and went on to make a single senior appearance – his try-scoring debut against Hull KR in August this year.

On both players, Head Coach Matt Peet, said: “We wish Sam all the best at Huddersfield, he is a quality young man and will be a great addition to a strong Giants team.

“Jack comes off the back of an outstanding year in the Reserves and on loan. He is very professional and hard-working; we wish him every success.”

On all three players, Executive Director Kris Radlinski, added: “We have been working hard to recruit Jake for a number of years. He is an exciting player who will fit very well into our style of play. For a young England international to commit his long term to the Club is a great coup.

“On one hand we are delighted to recruit Jake, but we are equally saddened to lose Sam. He is a wonderful guy who we all think a lot about but having spent the last two years on loan at various clubs, it is now time for him to start establishing himself as a regular starter.

“Jack is at the start of his journey and if his application and commitment is anything to judge by, he will go on to have a good career.

“We wish Sam and Jack all the best.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/10/ ... ins-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Not happy about losing Sam Halsall!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Great signning. Dan well done again.

At least we have 2 centres our wingers are going to have a field day
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Happy with wardle, bit of a blow though having to lose 2 of our good young players to make the deal happen. Hope it doesn’t bite us in the backside in the near future
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

w.thomas wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:59 pm Happy with wardle, bit of a blow though having to lose 2 of our good young players to make the deal happen. Hope it doesn’t bite us in the backside in the near future
The wigan machine will keep churning more players out pal whilst the rest pay us for them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Now let's get Dom young.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
valentino

Post by valentino »

Two centres for one.Three of our best academy ptoducts plus Bobby.allgoneWhy are we training these lads? I hope this is leading up to something else.
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

I must take my hat off to Dan for calling this one, I’ve doubted him in the past and called him out a few times but I’ll happily eat humble pie tonight! Fair play sir

Is that it for 2023 now then? If so I’m happy. Very happy!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Good signing for Wigan. On here folk have been saying he would be a great signing, now he's signed.
We've lost Halsall and Jack Bibby but we have done deals before with incoming signings.
A back line of Field, French, King, Wardle, Marshall, Just & Smith. How good is that?
Been looking forward to next season, now even more so!

And well done Dan and John.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I did write Jonh.