Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Post by First Try Tickle »

I can't work out why Halsall thinks he has more chance of game time at Huddersfield, they have signed Naiqama and Marsters who will surely be their main centres along with Cudjoe and Bibby.

We have Wardle and King and then maybe KPP or Isa. There is a chance King might not be here in 2024 along with also KPP, and I don't know of any others coming through.

But Peet must know what he's doing, maybe the coaches don't rate him the way we do.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:10 am I can't work out why Halsall thinks he has more chance of game time at Huddersfield, they have signed Naiqama and Marsters who will surely be their main centres along with Cudjoe and Bibby.

We have Wardle and King and then maybe KPP or Isa. There is a chance King might not be here in 2024 along with also KPP, and I don't know of any others coming through.

But Peet must know what he's doing, maybe the coaches don't rate him the way we do.
That's it, The turnaround this season compared to last has been better than expected, which is impressive enough before you factor in that it was Peets first Head Coach job, I think we all need to trust his & the coaches judgement, they're the ones who see these players day in day out.

Saying that, if it was Lam that got rid of Halsall the pitch forks would be out :lol:
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:10 am I can't work out why Halsall thinks he has more chance of game time at Huddersfield, they have signed Naiqama and Marsters who will surely be their main centres along with Cudjoe and Bibby.

i've just said something similar in response to someone on twitter

going to Hudds for 1st team action, may not happen as soon as he thinks. as you've shown he will be 5th choice centre (without knowing what Hudds have in their youth ranks) or he is happy to wait a year and see if Naiqama / Cudjoe / McGillvary all retire, and thus speeds up his chances

he'd be 4th choice at Wigan (3rd given Thornley injured to start the season), so it does look like he is reducing his 1st team chances, but equally Matty Peet has seen fit to play a 2nd row, so maybe there was something in that
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Great signing i cant remember the last time Wigan went into a season with 2 actual centers of starting 13 quality

shaping up to have a fairly formidable backline
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 am Great signing i cant remember the last time Wigan went into a season with 2 actual centers of starting 13 quality

2011 but we got rid of Gleeson
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 am Great signing i cant remember the last time Wigan went into a season with 2 actual centers of starting 13 quality

It’s quite the novelty isn’t it?

This Peet chap he may be on to something I think :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wardle: Get stuck in

Jake Wardle gave his first interview for Wigan TV after joining the Warriors on a three-year deal.

Wardle: “As soon as I had the opportunity to come here I wanted to take it with both hands.”

See the full interview on Wigan TV HERE.

Jake Wardle sat down with Wigan TV after signing a three-year deal with the Club from Huddersfield Giants.

“It’s all happened pretty quickly to be honest,” Wardle said. “I’ve been training for England and trying to focus on that but as soon as I had the opportunity to come here I wanted to take it with both hands.”

On the reasons for joining Wigan, he said: “One of the big reasons was Matt Peet, I’ve had a good relationship with him since I was about 16-years-old and I think the Club just speaks for itself really with the success that it has had. I just want to come and do what I can for the Club and hopefully bring some more success.

“Earlier in the year at Huddersfield things didn’t quite go to plan and I ended up going out on loan. There was a possibility to come here which wasn’t to be but I’m glad that I’ve got the opportunity to come now.”

On his aims going forward, Wardle added: “For me personally, I just want to be a better player at the end of it. From a Club perspective I want to help win trophies, I want to be winning Challenge Cups, Grand Finals and be up there at the end of the year.

“The facilities are absolutely class here so I can’t wait to get stuck in and bring what I can to the team.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/10/ ... -stuck-in/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, I kind of understand it although I may not like it. Coaches like Powell and Watson want to impose their own playing style and Watson, in particular, wants to mould young players into his preferred playing style. This means that players suddenly become available like Cooper at Warrington and you'd be mad not to snap him up, even though it may be relatively short-term. I can see why Wardle is available and he is a seriously good acquisition and equally why Watson would see the chance to take Halsall and Bibby so that he can integrate them as being a worthwhile opportunity.
That's all well and good but it does mean that Wigan don't see their youth policy as providing the kind of players in the backs that are good enough and to a degree, in the forwards. Our 'young' forwards have been around a while now and I'm not sure who will be the next to be moved into the squad and get some real game time. That's the more concerning thing about the moves here. I think Halsall looked good enough (and a bit better) to be persevered with and I'm not wholly convinced by the recruitment of King. It means that the message being given out to young backs is that Wigan are a buying club, not a promoting young players into the first team club.
I rather fear that if O'Neill turns out to be the next one out, then more of the Academy players will move on of their own volition or join academies of other clubs where they may be able to build a better career. O'Keefe is the one I'd most like to see get a chance.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Yes and okeefe is essentially the next halsall. The issue we have is squad depth - same with our back row prospects we have little backup development so there will be a gap in squad stepping up… unless there is a salary cap enlargement to buy a couple of stellar names I’m not sure it’s the right way to go but we don’t have the whole picture so hopefully it’ll be reet…
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Miami feelings for me with halsall going.
Yes we’ve brought in two proper centres but then we lose one/two? So injury to one of them we’ve no back up, unless we’ve got someone else coming in or academy player coming through.
What is it with Wigan with not getting the proper cover for the centres, can’t believe they think as second rower there is good when it just isnt