Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonh

Re: Jake Wardle joins Wigan

Post by Jonh »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:29 pm Miami feelings for me with halsall going.
Yes we’ve brought in two proper centres but then we lose one/two? So injury to one of them we’ve no back up, unless we’ve got someone else coming in or academy player coming through.
What is it with Wigan with not getting the proper cover for the centres, can’t believe they think as second rower there is good when it just isnt

We have Thornley as a back up before we need to dip into the second row.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

StanleyJean1 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:38 pm I must take my hat off to Dan for calling this one, I’ve doubted him in the past and called him out a few times but I’ll happily eat humble pie tonight! Fair play sir

Is that it for 2023 now then? If so I’m happy. Very happy!
Appreciate it pal, Completely unrelated.... someone offered me an away ticket if French & Wardle stayed/signed.... If that was a serious offer then please who ever it was... instead purchase one for someone you know who maybe struggles financially and has to miss a certain game in 2023 because of it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 am Well, I kind of understand it although I may not like it. Coaches like Powell and Watson want to impose their own playing style and Watson, in particular, wants to mould young players into his preferred playing style. This means that players suddenly become available like Cooper at Warrington and you'd be mad not to snap him up, even though it may be relatively short-term. I can see why Wardle is available and he is a seriously good acquisition and equally why Watson would see the chance to take Halsall and Bibby so that he can integrate them as being a worthwhile opportunity.
That's all well and good but it does mean that Wigan don't see their youth policy as providing the kind of players in the backs that are good enough and to a degree, in the forwards. Our 'young' forwards have been around a while now and I'm not sure who will be the next to be moved into the squad and get some real game time. That's the more concerning thing about the moves here. I think Halsall looked good enough (and a bit better) to be persevered with and I'm not wholly convinced by the recruitment of King. It means that the message being given out to young backs is that Wigan are a buying club, not a promoting young players into the first team club.
I rather fear that if O'Neill turns out to be the next one out, then more of the Academy players will move on of their own volition or join academies of other clubs where they may be able to build a better career. O'Keefe is the one I'd most like to see get a chance.
Why is that?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Jonh wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:06 pm
Barney841 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:29 pm Miami feelings for me with halsall going.
Yes we’ve brought in two proper centres but then we lose one/two? So injury to one of them we’ve no back up, unless we’ve got someone else coming in or academy player coming through.
What is it with Wigan with not getting the proper cover for the centres, can’t believe they think as second rower there is good when it just isnt

We have Thornley as a back up before we need to dip into the second row.
Forgot about him but the worrying thing is now, can he keep fit
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:16 pm
StanleyJean1 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:38 pm I must take my hat off to Dan for calling this one, I’ve doubted him in the past and called him out a few times but I’ll happily eat humble pie tonight! Fair play sir

Is that it for 2023 now then? If so I’m happy. Very happy!
Appreciate it pal, Completely unrelated.... someone offered me an away ticket if French & Wardle stayed/signed.... If that was a serious offer then please who ever it was... instead purchase one for someone you know who maybe struggles financially and has to miss a certain game in 2023 because of it.
Choose Catalans if it is a summer gig 😎
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

PF Warrior wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:30 pm Not happy about losing Sam Halsall!!
I agree with you Josie about losing Sam Halsall. The lad had prospects.
Not happy about losing JACK Bibby either I think that he had more potential he was way down the pecking order for a prop
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 am Well, I kind of understand it although I may not like it. Coaches like Powell and Watson want to impose their own playing style and Watson, in particular, wants to mould young players into his preferred playing style. This means that players suddenly become available like Cooper at Warrington and you'd be mad not to snap him up, even though it may be relatively short-term. I can see why Wardle is available and he is a seriously good acquisition and equally why Watson would see the chance to take Halsall and Bibby so that he can integrate them as being a worthwhile opportunity.
That's all well and good but it does mean that Wigan don't see their youth policy as providing the kind of players in the backs that are good enough and to a degree, in the forwards. Our 'young' forwards have been around a while now and I'm not sure who will be the next to be moved into the squad and get some real game time. That's the more concerning thing about the moves here. I think Halsall looked good enough (and a bit better) to be persevered with and I'm not wholly convinced by the recruitment of King. It means that the message being given out to young backs is that Wigan are a buying club, not a promoting young players into the first team club.
I rather fear that if O'Neill turns out to be the next one out, then more of the Academy players will move on of their own volition or join academies of other clubs where they may be able to build a better career. O'Keefe is the one I'd most like to see get a chance.
Good post, not sure about the youth policy comment, we try and sign the best around and I think if you're good enough then you make the first team. Marshall, Gildart, Havard, Byrne, Smith, Smithies show that.
I do feel that Peet has erred on the cautious side so far (understandable) by using fill in centres and not sticking with O'Neil at the seasons end. Its not possible to keep a very strong reserve squad as players will want to leave for 1st team Rugby and its not great business to drop seasoned pros as soon as a promising youngster appears - its a balancing act that I hope Peet can keep improving on.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

jaws1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm
PF Warrior wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:30 pm Not happy about losing Sam Halsall!!
I agree with you Josie about losing Sam Halsall. The lad had prospects.
Not happy about losing JACK Bibby either I think that he had more potential he was way down the pecking order for a prop
Oh dear yes, I didn't read the release properly....Jack Bibby is a loss.
All I can say is that we have so many great prop prospects they can't all get a first team slot.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:13 pm
jaws1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm
PF Warrior wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm I agree with you Josie about losing Sam Halsall. The lad had prospects.
All I can say is that we have so many great prop prospects they can't all get a first team slot.
Agreed there are so many that come through you have to take an educated guess at who to let go and hope that it doesn't bite you on the bum
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:36 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:13 pm
jaws1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm Not happy about losing JACK Bibby either I think that he had more potential he was way down the pecking order for a prop
Agreed there are so many that come through you have to take an educated guess at who to let go and hope that it doesn't bite you on the bum
:lol:

Harvie Hill, Toby Brannan, Harvey Wilson, Max Wood....all excellent prospects.