2023 squad a bit thin?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

2023 squad a bit thin?

Post by southportcdm »

Very pleased with the signings at centre and feel that our present starting 17 are an improvement on last season. Looking through the outgoings and signings from the start of 2022, I can't help feeling that we have less squad depth going into 2023. If we say that Cooper has replaced Partington, King has replaced Bibby and Wardle has replaced Zak then you can't deny that's great business. Of the other players that have left Nicholson, McDonnel and Halsall didn't play many games for the first team but, if good enough, would have been in a position to play more this coming season given their experience on loan. They were probably the best three players in the reserve squad and a year ahead in their development of anyone coming through at the moment. Thornley is now a backup centre/winger which shows progress for the squad but we haven't replaced Tommy which leaves us more susceptible to injuries at halfback/hooker. I think we're very close to having a squad that could win the GF next season and one more signing could clinch it. However, I can't decide what we need most. Thank goodness I'm not the coach.
Dan2266

Re: 2023 squad a bit thin?

Post by Dan2266 »

This is exactly why I think we will sign at least one more player.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

You've also got to factor in the players from the academy/reserves that will be introduced into the 1st team squad in 2023.
The likes of Hill, Nsemba, Eckersley, Forber, Silva etc, etc

The squad will be good enough, although I would like a utility back. Oh for a Dan Sarginson.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

For 2023 we've also got KPP and Isa who are first team regulars.
Hill will play first team next year.
Should we have a half back unavailable then I do think Field will go halves with Bevan to full back. French's replacement should be Miski or Eckersley.
King and Wardle has strengthened the squad massively IMO and we'll see the difference very soon into next season.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

We are literally Tommy down and that's it as far as I can see with replacements?

Smith and Cust have shown they are a brilliant combo and unless O'Neil goes on on loan you have powell/O'Neil/ cust able to play hooker. Cust/Smith/Field able to play halves with shorrocks as a absolute emergency. Full back you have Field/French and Marshall in an emergency. We haven't lost any first team props that I'm aware of and we have 4 second rowers still.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:52 am You've also got to factor in the players from the academy/reserves that will be introduced into the 1st team squad in 2023.
The likes of Hill, Nsemba, Eckersley, Forber, Silva etc, etc

The squad will be good enough, although I would like a utility back. Oh for a Dan Sarginson.
Spot on.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There’s always a turn over of players I hope we get one more in and let the young uns who are ready fill in the gaps in the squad but if they can keep them fit that’s a pretty decent side Wigan have got.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

No, I don't think so as I think some of the promising Academy/Reserves will push on. Hopefully Astley/Tyrer can step up in the halves, Eckersley/O'Keefe in the backs and there are many forwards who are really close to breaking through.

I'd be a bit worried about the season after with us possibly losing King/KPP/Thornley from the centres.